Skip to main content

TLDR: How would I create an order in ShipStation via SMS?

I sell corporate gifts. I have several clients (think realtor, insurance broker, etc) that would like to order a TY gift for a client right after a good meeting. 

They aren’t going to take the time and go on my website and order the git to the client. However, if they were able to simply text me an address, I’d send the gift.

That leaves me with a challenge on my end. I might get a text and not look at it for days. Even when I see it, I then have to manually enter it into ShipStation?

I want to have a system where they can send an address to a number which would then create a new order in ShipStation. Based on the number it is sent from, ShipStation would know who the sender is and we’d know which item to send to their client.

How can I do this?

Hi @Nuts 

Try this concept...

Have the user send a keyword you define to a certain phone number. (e.g. OpenPhone)

Configure an automation to autoreply via SMS with a link to a form to collect the address via standardized inputs for each data points (Street 1, Street 2, City, State, Zip).

A separate automation would trigger from that from submit and send the standardized data to ShipStation.

Thanks @Troy Tessalone. Your idea gave me an idea.

Do you think it would work if I had the SMS go directly to a Google Sheet and then a Zap from the Google Sheet to ShipStation.

The SMS would need to be formatted accurately with a comma as the delimiter, and then in the Google Sheet I break it down based on the delimiter.

Thoughts?

@Nuts 

Humans are error prone.

I would not rely on a human to text you an address in the correct format.

Too many possible options for how to format a full address.

Best to collect that data in a structured and validated manner via a form.