Best answer

How to write back new record info into custom object Salesforce

• 23 December 2021
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 1

Hi, I have just created my first Zap. I have connected Salesforce to Azure DevOps. I have a custom object in Salesforce called “Feature Request”. The trigger is when the Feature Request record status is changed to “Approved” the Zap creates a corresponding Work Item - Feature in Azure DevOps.  

That part works, but now I need to take the Work Item number that was just created and write it back to the Salesforce Feature Request record that created it.  Any ideas on how to do that?

icon

Best answer by DavidF. 4 January 2022, 14:36

View original

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

6 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +4

Hi @DavidF.! You will probably need to add this action:

Userlevel 1

Thanks for the quick response, I looked at adding the action but don’t see where to get the Azure Feature ID field that was just created to write back in the Salesforce action.

Userlevel 3
Badge +4

So when the Work Item is created in Azure DevOps, it does not return a ID afterwards?

Maybe you could create a second app with this as the trigger, and check if it gives you an id

And then use these to update the record in Salesforce

Userlevel 1

Thanks for the help. I will take a look. I think part of my problem is the way the search for the Salesforce record is mapped. Ideally I should create a custom field on the Azure side to hold the Salesforce record id. That would make life much easier.

Userlevel 1

The support team helped me out with this. I needed to add a “Formatter by Zapier” step to parse some text to to find the related record back in Salesforce. Now my Zap is working the way I wanted.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Thanks for keeping the topic updated with your solution, @DavidF.! So glad it’s working the way you wanted. 🙂