Best answer

How to use Zapier to connect to a cloud server app that isn't listed?

• 17 August 2021
  • 8 replies

Userlevel 1

I use a cloud server that isn’t listed and I need to find a way that my colleagues can upload to it. They currently upload to a folder on Google Drive, so it would help if I could detect new files then automatically copy or move them to a folder on my server. Thus keeping the Google folder free for more new files. My server does have API integration for uploads but I have no idea how to program an API script.

icon

Best answer by SamB 7 September 2021, 11:24

View original

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @lynnmonk

App APIs can be used in Zaps with the Webhooks app or Code app.

Webhooks: https://zapier.com/apps/webhook/integrations

Code: https://zapier.com/apps/code/help

Perhaps consider hiring a Zapier Expert: https://zapier.com/experts

Userlevel 1

Hi Troy.

Thanks for the info.

I managed to get an API script written, but that has brought a new problem to light in that the server doesn’t yet support chunked uploads. This means that all files over about 30mb are still showing as successfully uploaded by the API, but are not appearing on the server. Probably due to timing out. This is a pain as most of the uploads are 150mb-200mb. So I don’t suppose that Zapier would be able to help either in this instance. I can’t afford the monthly fees that most of these places now charge, so it looks like I’m going to have to save up to get my own NAS. :frowning2:

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Hey @lynnmonk!

I’m not sure if you’ve already looked into this but I was wondering if perhaps you could use an app like Brick FTP to upload the files to the server instead? 

I don’t know what costs are potentially involved on Brick FTP’s side but it’s not a premium app like our Webhooks by Zapier app so could be used while on our free plan. :)

Userlevel 1

Thanks for the info, Sam, but the server I’m using has an interface similar to Google Drive, so I don’t think FTP would work.

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Ah, I see! In that case @lynnmonk, another alternative you might want to take a look at is to connect the server to a folder on your computer. Then use Google Drive’s Backup and Sync feature to sync the files on Google Drive through that folder to the other server that way. I’m not sure how possible that is with the server you’re using but it may be an option worth exploring. 

Userlevel 1

Thanks Sam. That is an avenue I could look into. It might work! Cheers!

Userlevel 1

I checked out the Google option but it seems that their sync feature doesn’t expand to network folders and one of the reasons for having the remote server in the first place was to archive stuff I no longer have the space for locally.

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Thanks for keeping us updated on your findings here, @lynnmonk! I’m sorry to hear Google’s sync feature won’t let you select the folders you need. :(

I did some further digging online and found this forum thread which seems to suggest that if you select the Advanced Setup option when setting it up you should be able to select network folders. I’m not 100% sure how accurate that is or whether you’ve already tried that but thought I’d suggest it here just in case! :)