Question

How to: Use Zapier or Airtable's internal automations to create/update a record

• 28 April 2023
  • 1 reply

• Anonymous
  • 0 replies

Hi there,

I am creating an Airtable base with 3 tables to track events, contacts, and an event registration form: 

1. Table 1: Tracking events: event info, including a linked field to Table 2 (contacts)
  2. Table 2: Tracking contacts: contact info, including a linked field to Table 1 (events)
  3. Table 3: Event registration form: will track responses to the registration form, including people who are already existing contacts as well as new contacts

I am stuck on how to automate - either with Zapier or Airtable’s internal automations - how to create/update contact info when an event registration form is submitted.

• When a record in Table 3 (registration form) is created, I want to create a new record in Table 2 (contacts) if the contact does not exist. If the contact does already exist, then I just want to update the record, but not create a new one (which would mean a duplicate record)
    • I know how to do EITHER create a new record or update a new record, but I do not know how to tell Airtable to first search for the record and if it doesn’t exist then to create it.

Thank you so much in advance for any support available!

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Hi @Flower Zap  -

You can try using Paths by Zapier to set up conditional logic. You would ideally use this action step before this portion of your Zap 👇

When a record in Table 3 (registration form) is created, I want to create a new record in Table 2 (contacts) if the contact does not exist. If the contact does already exist, then I just want to update the record, but not create a new one (which would mean a duplicate record) 

Let me know if you have questions on this!