Question

How to use Memory Key???

• 9 November 2023
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hi, I was wondering how can I properly use the Memory Key function for Chat GPT? 

For example, I’m building a zap flow that will generate social media copies for me. However, it is starting to sound very repetitive. What can I input to Memory Key so that it doesn't use redundant language in the future when it generates social copies for me?

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@greysonz1997

I was looking around for a response to your question when I found this: 

Zap Support

GetUWired

Userlevel 1
Badge

Thanks @GetUWired , I’m still not clear on the memory key tho. Like what exactly are some of the things I can input there and what do they do?

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Hi there @greysonz1997! 👋

Just popping by to see if I can lend a hand here.

The memory key is the unique identifier for the conversation you want ChatGPT to reference. Assuming you don’t want all the social media copy to be referenced each time and want it to only reference a the same type of copy as what you’re wanting it to generate next, you’d need the key to be unique for each group/type of social media copy to be referenced. Which means you’ll need a way of passing the ChatGPT action the same memory key for the new social posts that’s distinct for each group/type.

Can you tell us a bit more about the current workflow?

For example do you have a list of upcoming social post ideas in a Google Sheets spreadsheet which you then run through ChatGPT to rephrase? If so, you could potentially add a column to the spreadsheet that has the relevant memory key. Then in the ChatGPT action you’d select the memory key value from that column in the spreadsheet. That way it would only reference past conversations relating to the rows of the spreadsheet where that same memory key is used. 

The key itself can be whatever’s relevant to the social media copy that you want to group together. It may help to think of these memory keys as “tags” that help to group your social media content. For instance, if several rows in your spreadsheet are for Christmas-related social media posts, you might label them with a memory key like "christmas-2023". Then when the Zap runs ChatGPT would reference and continue the conversation associated with that specific memory key.

Hope that helps to clarify things. Looking forward to hearing from you!

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hi! Thanks for jumping in here.

So my current work flow is: Whenever I send a text to to a channel in slack, it will generate an entire newsletter for me. Than Chatgpt will use the newsletter to generate captions for IG,Linkedin, and twitter then add all to a spreadsheet.  Below is a screenshot of the spread sheet and the current flow in zapier. I want the AI to be able to remember its previous result and not write using repetitive sentence. For example, rn for some reason it always starts with something like “Ever found yourself ……? ” I want it to be more creative, with it’s writing but still follows my perimeters in the prompt.

What can I do to achieve that?

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Ah I see! Thanks for sharing some additional details to explain your workflow here @greysonz1997.

In that case it sounds like you may want the Zap to the use the same memory key every time it runs in order for ChatGPT to keep every run of the Zap within a single conversation instead of having different conversations per topic. 

What might also help is to adjust the prompt to get it to be a bit more creative with the suggestions it comes up with. We’ve got a article on How to write an effective GPT-3 or GPT-4 prompt that has some useful suggestions.

Can you give that a try and let us know how you get on?