Skip to main content
Best answer

How to use ChatGPT Assistants using the files uploaded? (works in playground but not with zapier)

• 20 December 2023
  • 10 replies

Hi,

I have created a zap that takes the text of cell in sheets and sends it to the chatgpt assistant to categorize it according to the categories provided in an csv file. The assistant works perfect in the OpenAI playground; however, when I use zapier, the assistant makes up its own categories, even when the csv file is uploaded directly through zapier (code interpreter is on). Thanks a lot for any help.

Best, Seb

10 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Hi @iSeb, welcome to the Community! 👋

Sorry to hear that the assistant isn’t categorizing the cell’s text correctly. In cases like this it can help to be a bit more specific with the instructions you give to the assistant. We have a post on the Zapier blog that give some tips on prompt writing which you may find helpful: How to write an effective GPT-3 or GPT-4 prompt 

Can you give the suggestions in that post a try and let us know whether that helps to improve ChatGPT’s categorization?

Hi @SamB,

thanks for you reply.

The problem is the following: The assistant works fine in the GPT Playground environment, and it also worked fine when I tested the step in the zapier editor. However, when I transfer the data into the sheet, I get the following response from the assistant:

>>

First, I will inspect the "Eventfeed Cat.json" file to understand the categories provided. Then, I will analyze the text provided and sort it into the appropriate categories based on the structure of the "Eventfeed Cat.json" file. Let's start by loading the "Eventfeed Cat.json" file and then proceed with the analysis.
It appears that the "Eventfeed Cat.json" file was not found in the specified location. Let me confirm the contents of the current directory to see if the file is available elsewhere.
The "Eventfeed Cat.json" file is indeed not in the current directory. Could you kindly upload the "Eventfeed Cat.json" file again so that I can proceed with the analysis?

»

To clarify: the assistant itself has the json file uploaded and I’ve created a zap to find that file. However, ChatGPT seems to have a problem accessing the file through zapier?

This is how the zap looks:

Please help.

Thanks and best,

Sebastian

@SamB I managed to get a better response by renaming the file to “ef24cat.json”. The response from the file transfer is now:

>>

It seems there has been an error accessing the 'ef24cat.json' file. I will retry loading the file with the correct filename, which was provided in the initial upload step.

Let's correct the mistake and attempt to read the file again.

With the 'ef24cat.json' file successfully loaded, we can now proceed to analyze the text and determine the appropriate categories. The text mentions a specific artist, Paul Kalkbrenner, and references his upcoming concert at the Berliner Waldbühne in September 2024. Given this information, the most suitable category for the provided text would be "Concerts;Electronic" since Paul Kalkbrenner is a techno artist and the event is a concert.

Here is the categorization in the requested table format:

| Category | Sub-Category |
|----------|--------------|
| Concerts | Electronic |

For the alternative label (ALT), if "Concerts;Electronic" is not an intended choice, one might consider "Concerts;Alternative / Indie" given that techno could be broadly grouped under alternative forms of music.

Here is the alternative categorization:

| ALT Category | ALT Sub-Category |
|------------|------------------|
| Concerts | Alternative / Indie |

The performing artist mentioned is:
- Paul Kalkbrenner

Please let me know if you need any further assistance.

«

It seems to work now, but the assistant has a problem accessing the file.

Best, Sebastian

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Thanks for the update @iSeb

Glad it’s categorising them correctly now. Hmm, let’s work together to see if we can figure out why it’s not able to access the file. 

Can you share a screenshot showing what fields and settings have been selected in the Action section of that Conversation with Assistant action? I’d like to take a look at that to see if there’s anything on the setup that might be causing issues with being able to access the file found by the Find File action. Remember to remove/hide any private information (like names, emails, addresses etc.) from any screenshots before sharing.

Looking forward to hearing from you on this!

Hi @SamB ,

it is really weird, because sometimes the assistant can access the file and sometimes not.

Here are the settings from the conversation with assistant action. 

THanks and best, Sebastian

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Thanks for sending over that screenshot @iSeb. From what I can see there, everything looks ok on the set up. 

Are you experiencing this behaviour when the Zap is switched on and running live or only getting intermittent successful results when testing in the Zap in edit mode? 

Just wondering if it might be down to temporary, intermittent issues in being able to access OpenAI’s servers here the file is hosted. I’m thinking that could potentially explain why it’s only working some of the time. Do you think that might be the case?

That said, to be certain it would be worth reaching out to our Support team at this point so that they can dig into the logs for your Zap to confirm whether they can better identify the cause of the issue. 

Keen to ensure this gets sorted so please let me know how you get on with them!

Thanks @SamB, I will contact the support team.

I experienced this behaviour in edit mode as well as with the transfer. I have not tested it live, yet. Could the behaviour be different, with a live zap compared to “just” a transfer?

I will keep you updated.

Best,

Sebastian

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Thanks for getting back to me, @iSeb. I look forward to your update here. 🤗

Hopefully the Support team will be able to get to the bottom of what’s causing this soon! 🤞

Hi @SamB !

I received similar issue. My assistant is working perfectly on playground and in other places via API, but when using the GPT assistant apps it seems that they wont read the file we uploaded on openAI.

Is there something im doing wrong here?

Thanks so much!

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Hi there, @Raymrnst! 👋

Sorry to hear you’re running into similar issues. I can see that @iSeb reached out to the support team about this who were able to help solve it. I’ll share their suggestion here in case it’s helpful: 

“The problem you're experiencing might be due to the way Zapier handles file access. Zapier's platform is a bit different from the OpenAI playground and this could be causing some hiccups with accessing your JSON file.

Here's a suggestion: Instead of using a file, you could place the JSON data directly in your Zap. Here's how you can do this:

1. Open your Zap and go to the step where you have your JSON file.
2. Instead of using the file, paste your JSON data directly into the text input box. This will allow your Zap to access the data directly without needing to load a file.
3. Save your changes and test your Zap to see if it works as expected”

Can you try the above and let us know whether that approach works for you too?