Best answer

How to upload a file from a Monday.com file column to Google Drive

• 26 September 2022
  • 18 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge

Good Morning! 

I am trying to create a ZAP that takes files from a monday.com board column and upload them to a shared google drive. Right now it just creates an html file. I need to be able to take word doc files, excel files, and type of file and just upload that same file to the drive.
Rightn now I have created a presentation that has a url link to the file that when I put it into the browser it downloads the file. I want the file to just be in the shared drive folder when I open the folder. 

Thank you in advanced for any help!

icon

Best answer by MohSwellam 5 October 2022, 07:32

View original

18 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @MEdge 

Good question.

Please post detailed screenshots with how your Zap steps are configured in order for us to have more context, thanks.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Hey there, @MEdge! I wanted to pop in and see you were doing with this?

If you’re still needing an extra set of 👀, we definitely want to help! As Troy mentioned screenshots (with any personal details removed) of your zap setup are super helpful and allow us to troubleshoot a bit more closely. 

Keep us posted! 

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hi!

Sorry I missed the first reply! Attached are the steps that I am struggling with. It is fine to have the link in the presentation, however when it gets uploaded into the drive on my step 5 (labled step 2, 2.1, 3 below) it does not give me a useable file. it gives a txt file that is just html data, then I tried converting it to a word doc and the doc just has “-->-->-->-->”. 
Thanks!

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Hi @MEdge 

From what I see in screenshot 2 , it seems the file in Monday is just a path for the file, not an actual attachment. You need to download this file and attach it in Monday so that this works. 

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hi @MohSwellam ,

It is a Monday form and the ZAP is triggered by the form submission then takes the data, inputs it into the presentation and the google drive. 
We did a similar process with a Hubspot form, but in hubspot there is an option to ‘get file public url’ and then upload the results from that step to the google dirve. I am trying to figure out if there is a way to do the same with monday. But I don’t see a similar step available. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Actually this exactly what I did now and it worked :D 

So what I did is the following: 

1. Setup the Trigger to be Monday.com >  New Item in Board
  2. Action > Get File Column Values in monday.com (this action returned the file public link)
  3. Upload File in Google Drive and use the public link from Step 2 

Please try that and let me know :) 

Userlevel 1
Badge

@MohSwellam Thanks!

I was trying that step but for it does not work for me. See attached

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Yes, because you are using the wrong value in Column (required) , Column is the name of the column / field where the file is attached. Remove what you have there, click on the dropdown and choose the name of the column from there :) 

Userlevel 1
Badge

@MohSwellam It does not gice me options for a column. I wonder if it is because I am using the app “SuperForm” in Monday.. I need my form to update an item that is already in the board, so my first step is actually “Specific column changed in board”. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

I'm sure something is missing … can you share the zap with me please so I can take a closer look? 

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hey @MohSwellam ,
Here you go! thanks for the help on this!

https://zapier.com/shared/463f1465784f1a658ffb7a55eaf40aaaf1866789 

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Its my pleasure @MEdge 

Please check out this video that explains it better :) 

https://share.descript.com/view/hgOQ26lpW1b

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hey @MohSwellam ,

Thanks for the video! much easier to communicate that way. I think when I shared the zap with you it didn’t show the step because I cannot save it with the error I am receiving in step 2. I have it setup just the same but keep receiving the error “cannot read property ‘assets’ of undefined”. 

I made sure the from step 1 that there was a file in the files column, but I still get that error.

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Sorry it took me sometime to get back to you @MEdge 

It seems that this error happens when some fields dont have field names in Monday.com ? Please check this thread on Monday.com community. “all your dropdown columns need to have labels created for them before you try and call them in Zapier. Otherwise you get that error.”

https://community.monday.com/t/api-connectivity-issue-cannot-read-property-map-of-undefined/26735

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hi @MohSwellam 

thank you for the help on this! I truly appreciate it! Finally have a success! I didn’t change anything, just pulled in another submission from monday and it worked. So hopefully it continues to work. 

thnak you so so much for your time on this!

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Im glad it worked @MEdge ! Just keep an eye on the zap history from time to time

Hi @MohSwellam, Great idea! Thank you for posting the video - was a big help!

@MohSwellam Thank you, this worked great for me! Appreciate you posting this.