Question

How to update existing status of a contact in a Salesforce campaign?

• 24 June 2021
  • 6 replies

I am attempting to update the ‘Status’ of a contact that already exists in a Campaign. My first zap adds the contact to the campaign and updates their Status as ‘Sent’. This zap would ONLY find them, then update their status as “Responded”.

If I try to update a “Contact” object I am not given “Status” as a field to update.

If I try to update a “Campaign Member” object I am given the option, but get an error of, “ Count not update the CampaignMember record with ID xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx: The requested resource does not exist” (xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx being the ContactID).

If I try to update “Campaign”, obviously I am only given options to change things on the campaign itself.

Am I completely missing something? Or is this a broken feature at the moment? 

Thanks in advance for any insight!

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @MindFire 

Can you post screenshots of how your Zap step is configured that is returning the CampaignMember error?

@Troy Tessalone , yes! So sorry about that. Here is how this Zap is configured:

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@MindFire 

Is the ID you have mapped in an ID of a Campaign Member?

You can check by searching for that ID in the Record to Update dropdown list.

If not, then that’s why the error is happening.

You may need to add a step to first/create find the Campaign Member.

Give that a try.

@Troy Tessalone,

In my “Find a Record” step, I do have it set up to create a record if it does not exist. 

And then yes, the ID there is the Contact ID for a campaign member, as all of our contacts for this are in campaigns. We are wanting to simply update the campaign status of the member, but that is when I get an error of a campaign member already existing, unable to find other ways to update the status or an error from Zapier or Salesforce (can’t tell which) saying that I am unable to do what I’m trying to do. It can’t be a permission thing because I have full permissions - unless it is something so specific within Salesforce.

Yeah looks to me like you are trying to update a Contact ID (starts with 003) when you need to update a CampaignMember ID (starts with 00v). To get this ID you may need some intermediary steps to help you find the correct CampaignMember ID related to your Contact ID. CampaignMember is this nicely weird junction object, but still its very own object.

Back again @MindFire  - I just did this same solution with a Find Record in Salesforce using a SOQL query - totally doable, and I’m happy to help if you want any! -Emily