Question

How to update Asana tasks with shipping tracking numbers from ShipStation using Zapier

Badge

Hi! I have linked woocomerce with asana through zapier to manage customer service according to our business needs, and it works perfect by creating single tasks on asana per each order, triggered by woocomerce.

Now, part of our business is woocomerce updates shipstation (without zapier) per each order, and here is my goal; I’d like to update the tasks on asana created with zapier/woocomerce by adding the shipping tracking number generated by shipstation. 

can this be done? I read a lot in your forums and someone mentioned something similar by creating 

step1.trigger shipstation (item shipped) >> step2.action asana(find task) >> step3.action asana(update task)

problem is step2, requires “Task Name”, I cannot provide it because I’m hoping asana to find a match for that shipstation order. And the values that drop down in that field are from Shipstation and they dont match the task asana should be looking for.

Can you guys help me, please?

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

44 replies

Badge

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@the_office 

Zap Step 2 found an existing Asana Task.

Now you should be able to update the Task in Zap Step 3 when you test again.

Badge

It looks like it went through but I don’t see any changes to the task in Asana. 

f0c9a9feb195c23eb2f97adf8898daf9.png
(view larger)

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@the_office 

Zap Step 2 is only finding an Asana Task.

Zap Step 3 would be to update the Asana Task.

We would need to see detailed screenshots with how you have Zap Step 3 configured for which fields you are updating.

Make sure to test Step 3 after testing Step 2.

Badge

question 1, why does it say “A Task was sent to Asana about 0 second ago”. I thought the purpose was to look for it. I see that in the logs down below it says “_zap_search_was_found_status true” but it contradicts itself 

And here’s the detailed screenshot of step 3 configuration.

27629b539337f3e35baedab50a16cb41.png
(view larger)

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@the_office 

This can be generic and misleading language.

The Zap Action is to Find a Task in Asana.

The action can also be configured to Create a Task in Asana if no existing Task was found.

You can use the returned ID to go to the Asana Task, by changing the value in the browser when looking at an Asana Task.

For Step 3, we’d need to see how your Zap step is configured in the Action section.

Badge

I thought I posted the Action section on step 3. my mistake, here it is

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@the_office 

With what is shown there are no updates being made to the Asana Task.

The only visible field set is Task Completed? = False

That field is likely already set to False when the Task is originally created.

Badge

What it does is to change the task to Complete(Done) but does not update the task with the tracking shipping number.. Can you suggest me what to do in that case?

4bddfb0d1cbba6361d7b01d34338e9af.png
(view larger)

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@the_office

You would need to map the desired data point dynamic variable from Step 1 (ShipStation) to the desired Asana Task field in Step 3. (And test again.)

Badge

Here’s what’s happening at the step1, the trigger from shipstation, 

on the restrict to store, there’s two choices, Our store and manual. I pick our store

and the test for step1 seems to be ok. 

Badge

what would be the best approach to obtain that shipping track number and send it to asana?

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@the_office 

You would need to map the dynamic data point variable from Step 1 (ShipStation) that represents the Tracking # to the desired Asana Task field in Step 3. (And test again.)

Badge

Can you specify what this means in zapier language?

”map the dynamic data point variable from Step 1 (ShipStation)”

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@the_office 

Example of a mapped dynamic data point from Step 2.

Badge

should I add another step for shipstation?

in the Trigger(item shipped, shipstation), there’s no more choices to select from to map the id part

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@the_office 

I’ve done my best to help, but it’s now my recommendation that you consider hiring a Certified Zapier Expert to help: https://zapier.com/experts

Badge

there’s only 3 steps in this zap but 42 replies back in fort and I’m still in the initial point. 

I’ll give my best recommendation.

Thank you. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Hey there, @the_office! 👋

On the Update Task (Asana) action in the Zap, in the field that you want to add the shipping ID information to, you’d need to select the ShippingID field from the ShipStation trigger step. You can find out more about how to “map” fields from triggers and action steps in a Zap here: Send data between steps by mapping fields

Hope that helps. Keen to ensure you’re all set here so please do keep us in the loop on how you get on with this! 🙂