I have set up a Zap that when a new row has been created in Google sheet, to trigger creation of a new Jira ticket. I’ve tested this out and it does work, but there is a significant lag in new Jira tickets created (several hours). I have it set up to create Jira tickets instantly, but that does not seem to be working.
Is this due to backend issues in Zapier or can I update any settings in my Zap to troubleshoot and have Jira tickets created instantly?
Without looking at your Task History and/or your Zaps (which is what our Support team would do) it’s difficult to say what might be happening.
One way to tell is to go to your Task History and if you see any amount of time more than a few seconds between the time of your trigger and the time of your action, that would indicate that the delay is happening after the Zap fires.
These are the dates I’m referring to:
Are you able to check that, and maybe even test the Zap by adding a row and keep your Task History open in another tab to see if it triggers within a few minutes or not.
Since this was a little while ago, I wanted to check in to see if you’d managed to solve this or whether you still needed help here. Please let us know :)