Question

How to trigger multi New messages with 15mins in slack?

• 2 March 2023
  • 9 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Currently in Zapier, the trigger ”New Message Posted to channel” is to retrieve only one message during the zap run. What if I wanted to get several follow-up messages within 15 mins initiated from a particular trigger message sent in slack channel. In simple terms, need to fetch a conversation. how do I trigger these texts? Any workaround which can help would be appreciated.  

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @Jojin 

Good question.

Most Zap triggers/actions work on a per record basis.

For example, in Slack, if 5 messages were posted at the same time, then each of those would trigger it’s own Zap Run: https://zapier.com/app/history/

Perhaps you can outline a specific example in order for us to have more context about what you are trying to do.

Userlevel 6
Badge +8

Hi @Jojin ,

Are you wanting to retrieve all the replies in a thread to a particular message in Slack? I was able to get that to work using the Make API Request beta action: https://cdn.zappy.app/dcac25f214dadf490b35113ae986e5d5.png

I set up the action like so: https://cdn.zappy.app/8e7a44e8f8c352eefb33181ea7700fc1.png

Let me know how that works for you!

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

@shalgrim It seems the action “Make API Request beta” is not available for me.
How can I get it?

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

@Troy Tessalone

My zap needs to get triggered with a specific keyword message from slack, every minute for 15 mins and looks for any conversation and considers those conversations to sent over OpenAI. Suppose A, B, C come within 15 mins and those 3 should be sent to OpenAI and D comes after 15mins ,it should initiate as a mark for new conversation. 

Assume we have slack messages A, B, C, D incoming at intervals 0min, 5mins, 15 mins and 20 mins respectively. Suppose we triggered message A and drop it to OpenAI as prompt for sentiment, while B came in after 5 mins , as per our workflow it will silence B as the POST webhook is triggering to silence this zap for 15 mins by turn off, but takes in C after 15 mins outputting sentiment for A & C.

Question: how to trigger B into the OpenAI within the same zap since we have only have one trigger to fetch slack message? Could you suggest some workarounds to trigger B while at the same time considers any messages after 15mins as new convo.
If you have questions/ not clear about the workflow please let me know.

Userlevel 6
Badge +8

Sorry about that, Jojin. I didn’t realize it wasn’t released globally yet. It is scheduled to happen soon, though.

Userlevel 6
Badge +8

Make API Request should be available now. Let me know if you still don’t see it.

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

@shalgrim thanks for the update! 
Is there any way to filter slack message  via API  to only show certain users texts?

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@Jojin 

That will depend on the API endpoint you are trying to use and whether that supports filtering.

Userlevel 6
Badge +8

conversations.replies is the endpoint if you want to get responses in a thread and the one I used in my reply above. It’s documented here. It cannot filter by certain users.

The best way I can think of to filter by certain users is to add a Filter step and only continue if the user ID is within a given set of user IDs.