Best answer

How to trigger a zap via Open AI Assistants function call from an external app?

• 18 March 2024
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hi.

So I have an Open AI assistant chatbot in another app (Typebot). I want to be able to trigger a zap via function calling using the Open AI Assistant. 

eg my zap sends an email to our support team. When the Open AI Assistant thinks an email needs to be sent, it should trigger that zap.

Im not a software developer so looking for as low a code solution as possible. Can anyone assist or direct me in the right direction?

icon

Best answer by Ed M 23 March 2024, 00:22

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Hi @Ed M! 👋

As the OpenAI Assistant is running within Typebot I’d have thought that you’d need to set up a Zapier integration block within Typebot directly. Here’s some instructions on how to do that in case it’s helpful: https://docs.typebot.io/editor/blocks/integrations/zapier.

Then you’d have the Zap use the Zapier Step Triggered (Typebot) trigger so that whenever the OpenAI Assistant runs that Zapier integration block it should trigger the Zap.

Do you think that approach could work?

Userlevel 1
Badge

Thanks. I visited the Typebot Discord and it seems that the best way to do what I wanted would be define a function call within the Assistant and then when the assistant runs in Typebot, set a variable for the defined function so when it’s called, Typebot moves to a Zapier action block.

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

That’s great news @Ed M! Thanks so much for following up here to share the solution you found! 🤗

Sounds like you’re all set with this for the moment but please do reach out in Community again if we can help with anything else in future. In the meantime, happy Zapping! ⚡