Best answer

How to test a complicated zap with looping where the trigger is "Schedule by Zapier"?

• 2 February 2023
  • 2 replies

Userlevel 1

I’m working on a Zap that reports activity in our CRM (Close) daily for 19 different people. I’ve set my trigger as schedule by zapier, the zap then finds all user IDs for people on the “Field Sales” team in a lookup spreadsheet. Then I want it to create a report for each user ID and send that report through a slack channel setup for this purpose.

I think I’ve got it all setup correctly, but how can I test without waiting for the next day? As far as I can tell, testing each step doesn’t trigger the loop. And as a secondary question, can I do this with Excel given the action is just “find row” and not “find multiple rows” like you might find in Google Sheets? If not, are there any other options besides Google sheets?

Thanks!

icon

Best answer by Troy Tessalone 2 February 2023, 03:00

View original

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @abcflowe 

Good question.

You can use a Webhook - Catch Hook trigger to fire a Zap on demand.

That would require possibly cloning the Zap to test.

The Looping app when testing only tests the first loop iteration.

GSheets offers more functionality over Excel when used in Zaps.

Airtable overs more database like functionality compared to GSheets because it has an API that can be used in Zap steps with the Webhooks app to get up to 100 records per page.

This article may be helpful for guidance:

Userlevel 1

Hi @abcflowe 

Good question.

You can use a Webhook - Catch Hook trigger to fire a Zap on demand.

That would require possibly cloning the Zap to test.

The Looping app when testing only tests the first loop iteration.

GSheets offers more functionality over Excel when used in Zaps.

Airtable overs more database like functionality compared to GSheets because it has an API that can be used in Zap steps with the Webhooks app to get up to 100 records per page.

This article may be helpful for guidance:

Thanks a ton for this Troy! It sounds like I need to switch to Sheets (not worth an airtable sub just for this but a good one to add to that list), and then use a catch-hook trigger to test as needed. Really appreciate the quick response.