Question

How to take pulse updates from Monday board to Google Sheets

Userlevel 1

Hi, i’m trying to implement updates from the Monday board into Google Sheets.

This trigger works (everytime someone posts new updates)

Currently, I cannot find a way to take this update and put it in the appropriate place in the Google sheets (I want to update an existing item or create a new row if it does not exist).

thanks! 

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

12 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Hi @Planck 

In this case, you need the Google Sheet action “Lookup Spreadsheet Row” and click on the option for “Create Google Sheets Spreadsheet Row if it doesn’t exist yet?” 

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Hey @Planck! 👋

It sounds like you might need to use a Lookup Spreadsheet Row action to search for the corresponding row that needs to be updated. That action also has the ability to add a new row if an existing one isn’t found.

To find the corresponding row, you’ll need to make sure you’re searching for something that’s unique to the Monday.com item (like it’s ID number) but is also present on the row in the Google Sheets spreadsheet. If you already, or are able to, store the ID number for the Monday.com item in the corresponding Google Sheets row then that should work well here. 

Then, you’d use an Update Spreadsheet Row action to update the row that was found by the Lookup Spreadsheet Row action. To make sure the Update Spreadsheet Row action updates the right row you’ll need to:

• Click into the Row field on the Update Spreadsheet Row action
  • Choose the Custom value option
  • Then select the Row ID number from the Lookup Spreadsheet Row action. 

If you’ve not used custom values in Zaps before I’d recommend reading out Add custom values to dropdown menu fields in Zaps guide for more details.

Does that help to get you started? Please let us know how you get on with this!

Userlevel 1

Hello again, I have tried everything you have suggested, and the result is:

1. If the item does not exist, it creates a blank row without the item name (blank cell).
  2. If it exists, nothing happens. (no updates at all) 

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Hi @Planck 

this is a Find action, you need to add another “Update” action after it to do the necessary changes. 

And in the “Create if not found” you need to fill the data you need it to create

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

@Planck 👋 here for a check in! Were you able to make the adjustments Moh advised? Let us know if you still need some help or we can break this down a bit more to help clarify anything! 

Userlevel 1

Hi all, still struggling with this issue. 

I have made some progress; now the update is taking place; however, the field of "pulse name" remains empty for some reason. 

My trigger action works.

I use the Lookup spreadsheet row in google sheets with the “Create Google Sheets Spreadsheet Row if it doesn’t exist yet?” - that might be the problem (the pulse name is missing)

The update spreadsheet row also works well for me. 

Userlevel 1

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

So glad to hear you’ve been able to make some progress on this, @Planck! 🙂

Can you share a screenshot (remember to remove/hide any private information like names, emails etc. from it first) showing the set up for that Lookup Spreadsheet Row action? I’d like to double-check what field has been selected to add the Pulse name into the row.

We can’t look into your Zaps so that screenshot will help to allow us to get a better idea of what might be preventing the Pulse name from being sent over to Google Sheets. Thanks, we’ll keep an eye out for your reply!

Userlevel 1

Hi SamB, attached is what you requested;

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Thanks for sending over those helpful screenshots here, @Planck.

Hmm, it definitely looks like you’ve selected the correct field there. So it should be passing over a name for the pulse whenever an existing row isn’t found.

Does the Update Spreadsheet Row action also have that same Pulse Name: field selected from the Monday.com trigger?

If not, then you’ll want to update the Update Spreadsheet Row action so it also has that same Pulse Name: field selected for the Pulse Name column in Google Sheets. That way the pulse name should be added when a new row is added or an existing row is found then updated. Could that be the case here, or does the Update Spreadsheet Row action already have the Pulse Name: field selected? 

Userlevel 1

It already has the same Pulse Name: field.

As far as I'm concerned, the problem started earlier- when new rows are added (when the lookup action did not return any matches), the pulse name is not added. 

Thanks!

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Thanks for confirming that @Planck. 🙂

This is very strange indeed! If the correct Pulse Name: field is selected for both the Lookup Spreadsheet Row and Update Spreadsheet Row actions and that field contained a pulse name, then that pulse name should have been added to the row in Google Sheets. So this might well be some sort of bug.

Can you please reach out to our Support team about this? They’ll be able to dig into the logs for the Zap to investigate what’s causing this unusual behaviour. If it’s due to a bug then they’ll be able to open up a bug report for it so that the app’s developers can get working on a fix. Please do keep us updated on this, I’m keen to know what the cause is!