Skip to main content

Hello, I am trying to work on a google sheet where there is a list of items (column A) with a reffered date of start for that item (column 😎. I want to automate that every time column B is modified (a date of start is added) I receive an email.

I am using the “New or Updated Spreadsheet Row in Google Sheets” Zap, but I can’t manage to set the zap so that it sends email only when column B is modified, I am receiveing emails also every time other columns are modified (there are multiple columns in addition to A and B so I am receiving too many emails).

I have noticed that there is a trigger column field in the “New or Updated Spreadsheet Row in Google Sheets” Zap but I can’t figure out how to set it just to Column B.

Many thanks.

Hi and welcome to the Community, @Alg! 😁

To set the Zap to only trigger when column B is edited in the Trigger Column field you’d need to select the name of that Date of Start column from the list of available columns. Assuming row 1 of the spreadsheet contains the column header names (see: Work with Google Sheets in Zaps) then the name of column B should appear in the dropdown list, for example:
8ef8837117b3cc876f052f869f0478cc.png

That said, selecting the column there would not stop the Zap triggering for brand new rows that are added to the spreadsheet. To get around that you’d need to add a filter to the Zap to only continue if the Date of Start field Exists - meaning that a value exists for that field. If you’ve not worked with filters before you can learn more about them here: Add conditions to Zaps with filters

Hope that helps to get you pointed in the right direction. If you run into any issues on that or have any further questions just let us know!