Best answer

How to set up automated emails for first time senders only?

• 26 October 2023
  • 3 replies

Hi! I wanted to have an automated reply to emails who reach out to us for the first time only. So for those who have contacted us before, they won't receive this automated reply. How do I do this? 

I tried two ways: 

1. Gmail (New Email) > Filter by Zapier > Reply to Email

- But I can't figure out how to set up the filter by Zapier to respond only to the new email addresses.

2. Gmail (New Email) > Formatter by Zapier > Reply to Email

- In here, I used the utilities action fot formatter by Zapier but I couldn't figure out how to input the file. 

Please help me. Thank you!

icon

Best answer by Troy Tessalone 26 October 2023, 17:28

View original

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @erin_vulpecula 

Good question.

You would need to log all the emails into a GSheet or Airtable Base to reference.

Steps

1. Trigger: Gmail - New Email
  2. Action: GSheets - Find/Create Row
    1. Use the Lookup Row option
    2. Check the checkbox to create a new row if not found
  3. Action: Filter
    1. Only continue if Step 3 has found = false
  4. Action: Gmail - Send Email

Wow! That worked like magic! Thank you so much for your helpppp!! 

While I have you with me, can I ask you another question? I'm sorry, I'm so new to Zapier and I'm still figuring it out. 

So, the question is I wanted to send a drip emails to our leads list. I'm thinking of using Streak to just send and scheduled the email every week but I'm wondering if Zapier has that as well?

Like I have a list of leads, and I want them to send an email today. If they didn't respond, another email will be sent out after a week and goes on. The automated email will only stop once the lead/recipient has responded to that email. 

I tried it earlier but I'm also having error

Spreadsheet > Delay by Zapier > Send Email 

- I couldn't test it proper because it seems that this set up should be done after sending the initial email. So in that case, how should I initiate the email, and scheduled it weekly and make it stop until the recipient responded? Can I combine streak in this as well?

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@erin_vulpecula 

Email drips are better suited to be done by apps that are built for that purpose.

If you are trying to configure a drip sequence with Zaps, then I wouldn’t recommend using GSheets.

I’d recommend using Airtable.

Airtable has Views, which are segments of data. (sort, filter, show/hide fields, etc.)

Views can be used to trigger Zaps. (e.g. Date = Today)

Airtable Automations have a native integration with Gmail.