Best answer

How to separate data before it gets to Airtable

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hello Community!

Virgin poster, so please be patient.

We had been using the ‘free’ version until this issue popped up, so I’ve built several ‘free’ zaps. But we had to JUST sign up for a ‘paid’ plan to fix this.

DETAILS:

I have a zap that pulls information from Shop-Ware (a vehicle repair order SaaS) and sends it to our Airtable account.

The issue we are having is that we don’t know how to separate the data before it gets to Airtable.

Here is an example:

You can how the data is all bunched up in there, and I don’t know how to sort it out before it hits Airtable. So for now it dumps all of that into one cell.

I know it can be sorted by these numbers:

...but I don’t know how.

PLEASE help!!! Thx!

Mr. AUTORRARI.MAIN

icon

Best answer by christina.d 4 June 2022, 04:46

View original

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

12 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge

So I haven’t stopped trying to get this one, and I made SOME progress.

...but it goes right back to the string of numbers once i bring it back into Airtable!?!

HELP!

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @Mr. AUTORRARI.MAIN 

Good question.

Please clarify how you are expecting to see this array of data in Airtable.

For example, each as it’s own record or as part of some linked/multiple select field, etc.

Userlevel 1
Badge

...as requested!

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@Mr. AUTORRARI.MAIN 

Please clarify in words how you are expecting to see the data in Airtable. (e.g. each as it’s own record or as part of some linked/multiple select field, etc.)

Best to outline a specific example. (e.g. these are the inputs and these are the expected outputs)

Also why is GSheets being used instead of sending the data directly to Airtable?

Userlevel 1
Badge

Please clarify in words how you are expecting to see the data in Airtable.

Well, my vision is to have multiple tables that capture specific data related to the Repair Order. (I figured that there was WAY too much data to use any less tables - thoughts???)

For example, the “RO Details” table will be one line of records, where as the “ro services” table will connect to that table and hold several ‘services’ from that RO. Likewise with all of the following tabs. They all connect what they hold to the individual RO.

“Also why is GSheets being used instead of sending the data directly to Airtable?”

I was trying to use Sheets to sort the results. I’m really bad at trying to explain these things, so in case it still doesn’t make any sense, here is a link to the spreadsheet I used to ‘break it all down”.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1tmkK_qkzmOB0Nbix-7mImfWGGJSH9t-xnx1R0o8TaI4/edit?usp=sharing

I also made these 2 tables (which are on Sheet1 in that workbook) hopefully explaining what we’re looking for:

And lastly, the actual Repair Order in all it’s glory (the Repair Order is where all the data originates):

Basically we are trying to capture ALL of the data from this RO, while keeping the relationships (service #1, labor for service #1, etc.)

You can see it’s a LOT of data, with services, labor & inspections all over! lol

PLEASE let me know if this is not what you were looking for.

Thanks again,

Mr. AUTORRARI.MAIN

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@Mr. AUTORRARI.MAIN

If you trying to create individual records for data from the Zap trigger, then try using the Looping app to handle the line items: https://zapier.com/apps/looping/integrations#triggers-and-actions

If you still need help, then you may want to consider hiring a Zapier Expert: https://zapier.com/experts

Userlevel 1
Badge

Nice! OK, I think I see where you are going here. So, with the data you have seen that we have, would you recommend the “Create Loop From Line Items”, “Create Loop From Numbers”, or “Create Loop From Text”? Because 

And, there is NO WAY I can afford to hire anyone! And there is no by-passing this as it is the ONLY step I have left. I’m not even getting paid unless I can fix this problem, and then not very much! I was hoping that this is what this forum was for…

I understand that this is not a ‘normal’ or ‘easy’ question, but it’s one I have been tasked to fix. If you are too busy, and I can see by your status that you STAY busy, I’ll have to wait for the next helper.

Thanks again for your time,

Mr. AUTORRARI.MAIN

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@Mr. AUTORRARI.MAIN 

Try “Create Loop From Line Items” or “Create Loop From Text”, as it will depend on how the data is formatted.

Sometimes the best way to figure something out is to test it out.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Way ahead of you! I’m reading up on looping now. You’ll hear from me again soon, (I can’t ever accept defeat!?! lol) because this is NOT going to defeat me!

Also, I forgot to mention that I was thinking about using something like the “UNIQUE” formula, but wasn’t sure that would work.

Thanks again! You have really been a ton of help! Have a GREAT weekend!

MrA.M

Userlevel 1
Badge

@Troy Tessalone , HOW MUCH DO I LOVE YOU???

👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼 (i really hope those are clapping hands!?!)

Userlevel 1
Badge

So, with the INCREDIBLE assistance of @Troy Tessalone , I have COMPLETED my project!

I did have a small stumble along the way so I made a quick capture of how I got past it.

A HUGE THANK YOU again to @Troy Tessalone !!!

MrA.M

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

I hope this eThanks for keeping us in the loop with that worked for you, @Mr. AUTORRARI.MAIN! We love to see it!
I also wanted to summarize some of the tips in this thread. As Troy mentioned a good way to get started is to:

If you trying to create individual records for data from the Zap trigger, then try using the Looping app to handle the line items: https://zapier.com/apps/looping/integrations#triggers-and-actions

Try “Create Loop From Line Items” or “Create Loop From Text”, as it will depend on how the data is formatted.

A few other resources that could be helpful to check out:

Thanks again and welcome to the Community! 🎉