Best answer

How to select a file as an attachment for Gmail

• 24 July 2020
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 1

I want to setup a zap where a new user in Thinkific triggers an email from Gmail with an attached document. I can’t seem to figure out how to add the attachment though. Please help!

icon

Best answer by Danvers 11 August 2020, 16:46

View original

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Hi @NTYoga and welcome,

To assist you on this can you give us a bit more details about what exactly you would like to accomplish?

• What kind of attachment do you want to add?
  • Where is it you get stuck?

If you check out the Gmail action in your Zap workflow you can see there is a field called  Attachment. Here you can add any attachment you like. See the image below

Let me know!
~ Bjorn

@ForYourIT I am attempting to do this same thing, I located where you indicated “Attachments" however, how do I upload/attach a document from my desktop? When I search only the items associated with my Zap are showing as options for attachment.

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Mod Edit: 03-17-2022

Hi @MegenTwice! The attachment can either be a file that you get from a previous step in the Zap or the url of a file online (the url must be publicly available ie anyone can click on it) and access the file). You can find out more about this here: Send files in Zaps

That means that it’s not possible to upload something directly from your desktop, but if you can upload it to a service like Google Drive or Dropbox, you can get the url and add paste that into the attachment field. 

If you upload it to Google Drive, here’s how you get the url that you need:

Go to the file in your Google Drive 

Right click on the file to see the options for it and click Share

Choose the option to have the file available for anyone with the link

While you’re in the sharing options, find the file ID, which is at the end of the file, like this:

The download link for the file is:

https://drive.google.com/uc?export=download&id=FILE_ID

Don’t forget to put the ID from the url in the place of ‘FILE_ID’

One thing to note - this will only work for files that you UPLOAD to Google Drive (eg images, pdf, etc)  It will not work for documents, presentations, etc. created inside Google Drive. If you want to create a direct link to those, first download them to your computer then upload that file back on to Google Drive.