Question

How to run a Task multiple times based on row count in Excel?

• 10 February 2022
  • 4 replies

I have a client that sends me automated validation requests in the form of an excel spreadsheet. The Spreadsheet can have anything from one row(request) to about 200 rows(requests) of data.

The response that I have to send back is limited to a simple Y or N but I have to place that response into a specific field within the excel spreadsheet and have the same email subject.

I would like to automate the review of these requests but I’m struggling with how to handle the varying number of rows. Does anyone have a suggestion?

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Hi @Astounded 

You can look into https://transfer.zapier.com that can handle a large number of rows in excel, like this:

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @Astounded 

Here’s a guide how to create a looping Zap:

Maybe I should have been clearer. I’m familiar with creating a looping zap. My problem is with the trigger. The Excel is an attachment to an email with part numbers that a customer needs. I want to auto-forward the email and excel to zapier, Zapier or some other App would need to read the excel and figure out how many rows of data (x) there are in it and then run a looping zap x amount of times. 

Ideally it would then put a y or n in the “instock” column and return it to the customer.

Doing this manually was fine when I first started out and I would get 2-3 per day but now I’m consistently getting 50+ per day and it’s super tedious...

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@Astounded

I’m going to propose this solution...

Zap Steps

1. Trigger: GDrive - New File (in Folder)
    1. Or OneDrive, Dropbox, etc.
  2. Action: Formatter > Utilities > Import CSV File
  3. Action: Looping - Create Loop from Line Items
    1. Limit of 500
  4. Action: Outlook - Send Email

NOTE: The Excel file needs to be in CSV format, so you may have to convert first before uploading to the Folder.