Best answer

How to replace placeholders in a Google Doc template with form submissions in Zapier?

• 21 February 2024
  • 11 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hi Community,

I want to connect a website form to google doc. I want when someone submit a form, it should create a document based on my template document.

Here is template document, I’ve connect to document but I’m confuse how I should add placeholder to my template, that will be replaced when someone will submit a form.

I’m using textarea field in my form. I’ve tried to add {{Textarea 1}} in form where I need data.

Please can someone help me to sort out this.

Thanks

Clent

icon

Best answer by ken.a 27 February 2024, 10:46

View original

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

11 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @clent 

Help article to reference for GDoc templates: https://zapier.com/blog/create-autopopulate-google-docs-template/

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hi @Troy Tessalone I followed the tutorial but it is not working fine. Here is my template, please can you help me to add correct placeholders?

I can’t see this option in my zap where I can match fields. I’ve forminator form on my website, I use webhook to catch data then move to Google doc.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@clent 

Try removing special characters like ? and ,

Userlevel 1
Badge

@Troy Tessalone I tried but still this is not working.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@clent 

Try completely removing the {{Variable}} then adding it back.

Then click the [Refresh Fields] button in the Zap step config.

Userlevel 1
Badge

@Troy Tessalone thanks for helping.

I did same but still it is not working. even there is one simple field without any special charater (i.e , or ?) but still not getting result for this field.

Did you check format of my template doc? Is that ok to use for Zap?

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@clent 

Try completely removing the {{Variable}} then adding it back.

It can take some trial and error to get the variable to appear in the Zap step.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hi @Troy Tessalone , I find a bug. Thanks for helping.

Actually I was using search a document step in my zap and that did not allow me to add a value for each field. as shown in screenshot.

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Hi there @clent,

I’m jumping in to see if I can help!

You'll want to remove the formatting on each template field that is causing issues. Please note, this process will also remove any other formatting for the highlighted text. Here's the process to follow:

1. Highlight the template field(s).
  2. Click on the "Format" menu.
  3. Click on the "Remove formatting" option.
  4. Go back to your Zap's Create Document from Template Action Step
  5. Click the "Refresh Fields" button near the bottom of the page.
  6. The template field should appear.

To help you with this, here's an animation showing how the process works: https://zappy.zapier.com/B85A99A3-E88F-4186-AA8C-2B67D9076FD2.gif

If that still doesn't resolve the issue, can you please try to delete and retype the text around each template field along with each template field itself?

Hopefully, this helps!

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hi @ken.a thanks. I’ve followed the same instrcutions and now my zaps are working fine.

Thanks

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

That’s amazing @clent! I’m glad to hear that the Zap is now working!

Happy Zapping! ⚡️