Question

How to remove role in Discord when payment is cancelled in ThriveCart?

• 19 April 2024
  • 7 replies

This post was split from the topic: 

@SamB We are having a similiar issue when trying to remove a role from a Discord member. Our Zapier set up looks like this:

Step 1: Recurring Payments Cancelled in Thrivecart → (This has a green check)

Step 2: Find User in Discord→ based on Thrivecat email address (we think this is the only common thread between the two) (This has a green Check)

Step 3: Remove User Role in Discord (this step we can not get to work)
Step 4: Assign User Role in Discord

Essentially what we are trying to do is when someone cancels their payments we want them to have their role as an “all access” to a lower role within Discord.

I have searched high and low for a tutorial on this and can’t find one anywhere.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Hi @Creative Studio,

Would you mind sharing a screenshot of the “Action” section that shows all of its fields of your “Remove User Role” action step? Like so:

46dd6c0979e3d815d621b8da43084ef1.png
(view larger)

Thanks!

This post has been edited by a moderator to remove personal information. Please remember that this is a public forum and to remove any sensitive information prior to posting.

@ken.a no problem! Let me know if you need anything else.

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Hi @Creative Studio,

Thanks for the screenshot!

The “Find User” action only accepts Discord Usernames and doesn’t accept email addresses. Here’s an example of Discord Username:

5edc86d557a86ee8c566142ce1621149.png
(view larger)

Does ThriveCart return the Discord Username? If so, I’d recommend using that data instead.

Hopefully, this helps!

@ken.a so Thrivecart does not return a discord user name. Thrivecart only has purchase infromation such as email, first name, last name, user ID, transaction ID etc.

Is there any other value I could use here besides the Discord User name to make it work?

Tagging @SamB to help us on this as well

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Hi @Creative Studio,

Unfortunately, there isn’t any other value to use for the “Find User” action since it’s requiring you to map the Discord Username. However, you might be able to use Google Sheets Lookup Table as a workaround. More about that here: 

Hopefully, this helps!

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Hi @Creative Studio 👋

Hope you don’t mind but I’ve moved your question and the subsequent replies out into a new topic here since you’re having trouble to searching for users using the information received from ThriveCart which is a little different from the previous topic.

As Ken mentioned the Find User action is only able to perform a search via the user’s username. I did wonder if perhaps you could get around this by using a API Request (Beta) action, but looking at Discord’s API documentation it appears that it’s not possible to search for a user by their email address. So that potential workaround isn’t going to be possible unfortunately. I’d recommend reaching out to Discord’s support team to put in a feature request for their API to support searching for users via email address.

In the meantime the only alternative I can think of is to add a required field in ThriveCart for customers to enter their Discord username. That way the username for their Discord account would be sent to the Zap and allow you to remove/add roles as necessary. Do you think that could work?