Best answer

How to reference the found column data after Lookup Spreadsheet Row in Sheets?

• 7 August 2023
  • 3 replies

Hello - I am having an issue that I expected would be easy but have tried searching etc. with no luck.

Basically I am trying to build a Zap that will match customers in a spreadsheet (added in real time, when they place a new order) and then look them up by email address in the sheet.  If found, I want to filter based on the data in the FOUND column, not on the new column that was just added.  So for instance I would like to search for a row in column A containing great@customer.com which would reside at the bottom of the sheet (call it row 100) and then run a filter based on the found data for great@customer.com which may have been found on row 50.  I would like to filter based on column B (order_date) for the customers first order, not the followup, most recent order.

I hope that makes some sense.

Thank you!

icon

Best answer by Troy Tessalone 7 August 2023, 15:56

View original

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @cardminger 

Good question.

Here’s a different approach.

Use Airtable instead of GSheets.

Airtable is a relational database app.

Meaning you can link records across tables of data.

So you could link the Customer table to their Orders table.

Then you can use a Rollup field to pull in the desired data from all the Orders linked to the 1 Customer.

Hi @cardminger 

Good question.

Here’s a different approach.

Use Airtable instead of GSheets.

Airtable is a relational database app.

Meaning you can link records across tables of data.

So you could link the Customer table to their Orders table.

Then you can use a Rollup field to pull in the desired data from all the Orders linked to the 1 Customer.

That certainly is an option I can look into if it really isn’t possible with Google sheets.  You would think that with Zapier looking up a row (and subsequently finding a match) that you should be able to then reference the found data.  I feel like I must be doing something wrong as I can’t be the first to have this type of use case!

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@cardminger 

Found rows in GSheets will return all the row data.

You can find multiple rows.

Then you could use the Looping app to cycle thru each row, and limit only use the first row, which would be the earliest row.