Skip to main content
Best answer

How to refer to the current row in Google sheets?

• 20 December 2023
  • 2 replies

I have a zap that runs when a user signs up to our product as a paying customer.  When this happens, I’m adding a row to a spreadsheet that we use for some reporting, and it has things like the user’s ID, the conversion date, the associated MRR, stuff like that.

I have a column that is dependent on a few other fields and is a nested if statement:

=if(U2>=today(),if(Q2="ABC",O2,

if(E2="Premium",

if(O2<40,20,O2/2),

if(O2<120,60,O2/2))),"")

I am, in my zap, setting the values in the row for columns U, Q, O and E. So I could just set this formula in my zap as the above but replacing the cell references with the values I’m storing in those cells as part of the zap. 

However, the contents of cells U2, Q2, O2 and E2 may change over time, so I really want to refer to the cells, not the values that I am setting in this zap when I create the row.

I could also add this value as an additional step in my zap, i.e. I add one row then go update it in the next step using the row ID from the Add Row step. But this will chew up actions, so I’d rather not do that either. 

Is there a way of doing cell references within 1 step of the zap? 

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @RunForestRun 

Check out this related topic:

Userlevel 1
Badge

Nice!  That looks like it will do the trick.  Thanks.