Skip to main content
Question

How to reduce Zap tasks using Google Sheets?

• 5 July 2024
  • 1 reply

Hello

I am new on Zapier
I am using it to move the data from google sheets to Notion tables so the team can tag and do follows back on the leads 

But I think I am using many zaps

or maybe my way of use this is rusty. Maybe if this update just once or twice per day will be enough.

my big concerns is I do not know if each data/ row is a credit, if so…. I will get out of credit very fast.

Now I am using two zaps

one every time a new row is created

and another every time a row is updated ( because when I only use the previous one some data where missing) 

thanks. 

Zap 2
Zap 1

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Hi @Terraynova, welcome to the Community! 👋

For every action that runs successfully a task will be used. Currently both Zaps will run, whenever a new row is added and three tasks would be used. This is because Zap 2’s trigger will also run when a new row is added to the spreadsheet, not just when one is updated. So for every new row both Zaps would run and create a duplicate database items in Notion.

Instead I’d recommend setting up the Zap with these trigger and actions:
534649d02c6278485aae74dea446d4af.png

Tthe Find Database Item action has the option to create an item when it can’t find one you can combine actions of both the previous Zaps into a single Zap:
d3080e27a98df9675302f82d288fe69e.png

And on step 3 you’d use a Filter by Zapier action that only allows the Zap to continue if the Zap Data Was Found field is true (meaning an existing database item was found).

For example:
e2b1adcb4a2aa9a2e0d1f4e93f93f5cb.png

Although the filter is an action, filters do not count towards your task usage. And so when the Zap runs for a new row that’s added, only one task would be used (Find Database Item - which creates the new item). And for rows that are updated, two tasks would be used (Find Database Item + Update Database Item). 

You can learn more about task usage is measured here: How is usage measured in Zapier?

Hope that helps to get you pointed in the right direction. If you run into any issues  on setting that up or have any further questions at all just let us know! 🙂