Skip to main content
Best answer

How to Read File Contents from Google Drive using Zapier?

• 24 November 2023
  • 7 replies

I can find a document in Google Drive and append lines to it, but I cannot read the file contents back.
I’ve checked out quite a few previous posts, but they all reference fields that aren’t in my list, or somehow use a full-page html GET that has an incredibly long output, but still no text my document contains (and it’s too long, or at least the formatter keeps crashing).

Thanks for your help, 

• Steve
This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @Steve3D 

Good question.

Userlevel 1

yeah, unfortunately I don't get that output. I tried the GET google api as well.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@Steve3D 

We would need to see detailed screenshots with how your Zap steps are configured to have true context.

Userlevel 1
this is just a search for “text”, I’ve scrolled through the data multiple times and there’s no file content options.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@Steve3D 

Help article shows how using a GDrive variable:

https://community.zapier.com/code%2Dwebhooks%2D52/how%2Dto%2Dget%2Dfile%2Dcontents%2Dwith%2Da%2Dget%2Drequest%2Dto%2Ddehydrate%2Da%2Dfile%2D26424

Userlevel 1

Thanks, it’s working now! the results have updated, and I made my google drive folder visible to all

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

That’s great news @Steve3D! Big thanks to Troy for pointing you in the right direction!

If you have any other questions, please don’t hesitate to reach out to the Community. We’re always happy to help! 🤗