Question

How to put a personalized stripe payment link in an automated email when a stripe payment fails (trigger)

• 30 March 2023
  • 1 reply

Hello!

In the event that a stripe payment fails, I’d like to be able to send an email to the customer with a link that allows them to pay for the product they were initially trying to purchase.

I am struggling to figure out exactly how to do this and would greatly appreciate help.

What I’ve tried so far:

I have been able to get the basics taken care of. The “failed payment in Stripe” trigger is set up, and I am using actual data from a failed payment in the recent past.

The next step is where the issue lies. Under the Action tab in “Create Payment Link for Stripe,” The very first line item, Price, is causing me issues. I have a handful of products, so when I select the Price line I can either hard-code one of the products and create a link no-issues. However, I don’t want to hard-code the product into becoming a product link. Ideally, I am able to create a link for the exact product where the payment failed. So, I clicked into custom and have been attempting to use various of the options from the data Stripe/Zapier provides based on the transaction data zapier found. Yet, there are no data outputs which work in the price field. I found a post 

which talks about how maybe the zap has to be published to pull the actual price data of the product which could help resolve the payment link creation issue. Unfortunately that nuancey thing was not fixing the issue either.

A new idea:

I only have a handful of products and those products already have payment links active. So, I was thinking that I could use the available data that stripe/zapier provides me to lookup an already existing payment link for the product and then put that matching link into the automated email. However, I don’t know how to do this. I tried creating a google sheet with the payment links and other helpful information with the hopes of cross referencing in a lookup action, but I became stuck when actually trying to pull the link in such a way that I can put it into the standardized email that I want to send. I would really appreciate some help here! To further clarify, ideally the link in the email is active and changes based on the user just like the [recipient name] can be personalized in the standardized email.

Thank you very much!

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @James Mills 

Good question.

Here’s a help article about the concept of lookup tables: