Question

How to prevent Zapier from running for all rows when updating a Google Sheet?

• 11 July 2023
  • 3 replies

Hey Zapier team! I wonder if you can help me figure this out somehow. Or if someone else had a similar struggle and found a good alternative. 

I have a spreadsheet that feeds data from Google Sheets to Pipedrive. The zap itself is straightforwad:

Trigger - New or Updated row on Google Sheets

Action - Find deal in Pipedrive (option ticked to create a new deal if none has been found) 
Action - Update deal based on the previous step

Now, I think this works fine although I haven’t tested it yet. But a major concern came to me when I talked with a colleague that updates the spreadsheet and she told me that she needs to delete all the data on the spreadsheet and replace with new one every day.

We have 14000 rows with the products that we sell, and she needs to export them from our Platform (currently there’s no good way of exporting from it without it being manually) to our Google Sheets, and updates around 200 to 300 of them let’s say. 

Would that mean that if she deletes everything and then adds everything back including the 200-300 updated ones, that Zapier would run for all of the rows? Because that would immediately kill my monthly task limits. 

If nothing is possible here, is there a workaround that could be done instead? 

Thank you so much in advance!

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Hi @Filipe Portela, welcome to the Community! 👋

Ah yes, if they delete all the rows and read them and they aren’t all in exactly the same order then you could potentially have rows with old information that the Zap has already acted upon being seen as new information. Which isn’t ideal! 

What Platform are they exporting the information from?

Just wondering if there’s a way you might be able to get around this. Perhaps by triggering a Zap from an email notification it sends when a new product is added/updated? Or if the Platform has the ability to send webhooks when a new product is added/updated you could get it to send that information to a Zap that way. Do you think either of those might be a viable option for you here?

Looking forward to hearing from you on this!

I’ll have to check with our devs tomorrow if there’s any possibility of working with webhooks for when a product is added or updated. Because then I could just skip Google sheets entirely and work it directly into Pipedrive. I’ll let you know if that’s a viable option as I might need help understanding how to set it up if that’s the case, please :) 

The Platform, is our company’s self made software, it’s old, the code is terrible for our developers and we are working on something new and modern, but that won’t come until next year, which is why I’m trying to get a solution that would work right now.

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Thanks for getting back to me, @Filipe Portela.

Ah I see. Would be great if they can get a webhook sent over so you could trigger from that. But if they can’t do that, could they generate a RSS feed of the new products perhaps? Then you could trigger a Zap when a new item (product) is added to the feed using a RSS by Zapier trigger.  

Let us know what your devs say and we’ll go from there! 🙂