Question

How to pre-populate the sms body text via an html link

• 29 November 2022
  • 2 replies

We have service where all user interaction is done via texting (iMessage) using Sendblue. We want users to be able to refer their friends to get free credits. The easiest way we can think of would be giving that user a link to send to their friends, which, when opened, would auto-populate a message to our number, the content of that message being the referring user's number. Example:

I (phone number +1234) want to refer my friends. I send them a link, which when they click, opens a text message to +4321 (the service) with the text prepopulated with my phone number, "+1234".

Right now the entire service is run through Zapier, so ideally would be able to work through that. You can also enter Javascript blocks into Zapier to manipulate data if that would help.

The only solution I have been able to come up with so far is create a different webpage for every person's phone number, which would just be a https://stackoverflow.com/questions/6480462/how-to-pre-populate-the-sms-body-text-via-an-html-linkAutomation Service with the above that would be clicked automatically on page open.

Is there an existing service that does this (and ideally works with Zapier)? Or would I have to do what is described above? If so, what is the easiest way to integrate that data? Is there a way to automate webpage creation?

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Hi @industlabs 

From the articles you sent, it seems much simpler than that. All you need to send them is the following:

sms:+4321?body=+1234

This will show as a link on their phone, which if clicked would send a sms to +4321 with the text +1234. You can do this with Zapier definitely 

Userlevel 5
Badge +7

Hey there @industlabs - checking in on how you’re progressing? Let us know if there is anything else we can help you with!

Best-Rachael