Skip to main content
Best answer

How to populate weekly Zapier spreadsheet with data from OCRed & analyzed PDFs?

• 10 June 2024
  • 5 replies

Hi there, 

I did set up a zap for data extraction but I am not able to set up the final step properly. The scenario is the following:

1. Once a week a PDF will automatically be downloaded from multiple URL’s (Using the merge PDF from pdf.co)
  2. The PDF is split in separate pages and then OCR processed (using looping)
  3. The resulting files are analysed with ChatGPT, the anaylsis output is structured 
  4. The structured output is split into different fields with formatter (Output 1, Output 2… etc.)
  5. The different outputs now needs to be stored in a excel sheet. (The Excel file was already created in a previous step of the zap and has the same name as the PDF from step 1 (meaning, it is a new excel each week)

I do, however, have a complete brain jam how to add the Output Items in the suiting Excel columns. The outputs should all be in the same excel file for the zap that is running once a week. I have the feeling that it is quite obvious what have to be done… but I do not get it together. 

Maybe you can point me in the right direction?

Best

Eike

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

5 replies

Userlevel 1

Thread can be closed. I found the solution. The columns have not been displayed in the Action Tap of the add row Zap, because I did not choose the file directly to set the zap up. 

Userlevel 1

Ah, unfortunately not there yet…

When I use a custom file instead of a spreadsheet selection, the columns will disappear and the zap cannot be saved: 

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Hi there, @humpi 👋

Sorry to hear of the troubles on this. Looking at the latest screenshot it appears that the incorrect value has been selected for the Spreadsheet field. When using a custom value for a dropdown field such as that Spreadsheet field, you’ll be expected to supply an ID instead of a name - see our Add custom values to dropdown menu fields in Zaps guide to learn more. Meaning it’ll be expecting to receive the ID for the file rather than the file name. 

In the Spreadsheet field on the action that updates the spreadsheet, you’ll need to select the ID from the previous action that created the Excel spreadsheet. Can you give that a try and let me know whether that allows you to complete the setup as the Zap as hoped?

Userlevel 1

Hi @SamB, using the ID as a variable is working! Thank you for the support. 

best

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

That’s fantastic news @humpi! I’m so pleased selecting the ID of the spreadsheet instead did the trick. 😁🎉

Seems like you’re all set for now but if you run into any further issues do let us know. In the meantime, happy Zapping! ⚡