Question

How to open a .jpg in Google Docs from Google Drive to get text (OCR)

• 19 August 2022
  • 2 replies

I’m trying to take images of a handwritten document (which will be uploaded to a folder in Google Drive), open them in Google Docs, then pull the resulting OCR text into Google Sheets. The issue I’m facing is there isn’t an operation to “open” the file in Google Docs (from Drive or Docs integration). “Create a new file” doesn’t seem to be able to recognize any content (“no data”). So the workflow might be something like:

File uploaded to Google Drive

File (.jpg) opened with Google Docs (which will OCR the image)

New Row in Google Sheets with Text from resulting file

(and then maybe other steps thereafter)

If anyone has thoughts on how to accomplish this, please share. Thanks in advance!

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Hey there, @NOC! Great question and we appreciate you reaching out in the Community.

I did some digging and it looks like OCR is a feature within Google Cloud Vision which isn’t supported by Zapier at the moment. 😔

I did go ahead and add your vote for this app so we’ll definitely keep you in the loop if and when that changes!

That said, it looks like there may be some other apps that do something similar in terms of extracting text from images. While I don’t have any personal experience with it, this looked to be the closest one that could suit your needs:

I hope some of this helps! 🙂

Hi Christina,

Thank you for your message. Unfortunately, I don’t have a Nanonets account and I don’t want to incur additional expenses to do this. Rather, I just want to open a .jpg file in Google Docs which will automatically OCR the image. Perhaps Google Cloud Vision is what is happening in the background, but when I open a file in Google docs...it just OCRs the image.