Best answer

How to make a multi-step Zap from Salesforce to Bit.ly back to Salesforce and reference the same record?

• 12 April 2021
  • 2 replies

Hello, I’m brand new to Zapier. I’m sure there’s a walkthrough somewhere that tells me how to do this thing, but I don’t know what to call the thing so I’m having a hard time searching for it.

Here’s what I’m trying to do:

Our event management app in Salesforce generates a unique link for each attendee so that when they receive their confirmation email there is a link for them to cancel their reservation if they want. However, this unique attendee link is too long to include in our SMS reminders.

I’ve managed to set up a Zap that creates a new bit.ly URL every time a new Attendee is created in Salesforce. So far so good. How do I then make a Zap that adds the correct Bitly URL to the correct Attendee in Salesforce (on the “Bitly url” field)?

In other words, how do you do a multi-step process in Zapier that is triggered by a unique record in Salesforce, that then does something in another app, then goes back and updates the same specific record that caused the trigger in Salesforce?

I know there’s got to be a way to do it, but I’m having a hard time finding the documentation.

Thank you for any pointers!

icon

Best answer by Troy Tessalone 12 April 2021, 23:45

View original

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @ERabe 

Zapier also has a native URL Shortener app: https://zapier.com/apps/url-shortener/integrations

Try these Zap steps;

1. Trigger: Salesforce ??? (see screenshot)
  2. Action: Bitly or URL Shortener
  3. Action: Salesforce Update Record (map the ID of the Record from the trigger using the ‘Custom’ option as indicated in this help article: https://zapier.com/help/create/basics/set-up-your-zap-action)

Aha thank you! I found what I needed in that article you sent (I thought I’d already looked at it, but I must have missed this part)

Text fields: enter a value, or map data from previous steps. To map data, click the dropdown menu and select a variable from the list.

Cool, so it uses variables like Flow in Salesforce. I can work with this!

Thanks for the tip on Zapier url shortener… that could be helpful.