Question

How to insert data from a different tab

• 1 September 2022
  • 12 replies

Userlevel 1

Hey Guys, 

Hope you can help me out. I want to do the following. I have a sheet which collects leads that made a purchase, when the sheet is filled or updated I want to check if the field Order nr. is filled or empty. When the field is filled “do nothing” when it is empty I want to grab a value from Tab B where I have a bunch of coupon codes. 

Ideally I would be able to delete the row in tab B so you can always pick the first row for this action and give all the leads a unique code. I think I am quite close to the solution but I don’t know how to get the info from tab B into Tab A because Tab B has not been used in the other steps of the zap so I can’t use it to look up that info. 

Any clue how to fix this?

Happy to hear your ideas.

Thanks ​​​​​​​

Richard

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

12 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Hi @Richard schurq. , 

I do have a workaround but it will be a bit tricky:

1. Go to Tab B in Google Sheets and add a field, lets call it ID, input the value 1 in the first row
  2. Create a step in your zap Google Sheets > Lookup Spreadsheet Row > Lookup Column = ID (the column we added above) and Lookup Value = 1
  3. Use this as your coupon code
  4. Add another step Google Sheet > Delete Spreadsheet Row > delete row 2 (which would be the row with the 1)
  5. Add another step Google Sheet > Update Spreadsheet Row > Update Row 2 (which was row 3 until you deleted the row in the previous step)  and input the value 1 in the ID field 

Hope this works for you and wasn't to complicated to follow :) 

Userlevel 1

Hi MohSwellam, Thank you for your response. 

I was thinking clearly too complicated lol. I think we are getting there but we are not yet at point of destination. 

(the red squares are filled but now blanked out for sharing)

Some things I ran into:

Step 3 delete row, will only clear the value and not the whole row

And when I update in step 4, I don’t want the same value there, it has to be unique from this list.

To let you get the whole picture I will show you my data entry (updated sheet) 

Then your step 2 

I hope this makes things more clear to understand.

Best regards and thanks again,

Richard

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Hi @Richard schurq. 

This does make it a lot more clear to understand yes :) 

First of all, i wanted you to add a new column and call it ID so when you use the search you can find the “1” AND the coupon 

Secondly in case the delete doesn’t actually remove the full row (it just empties it) then we might need to use Zapier Storage to increase the row number by one each time.   

Please let me know if this makes sense :) If still not able to do it let me know. Im just not at my desk right now so Im not able to do it step by step and had to do it from memory 

Userlevel 1

Hey MohSwellam

I needed to place an extra update spreadsheet in the middel to update the first tab but so far so good :)

I am not sure how the storage function works in this case.

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Hi @Richard schurq. 

Sorry for the late reply :) 

The reason we need to use a Zapier Storage step before getting the coupon is because we need to increase the Row number each time, i.e.: in the first run of the zap it would find 1, in the second run it should find 2, and so on. You can find more information here https://zapier.com/help/create/storage-and-digests/storage-examples-in-zaps#zap-1-increment . This is because the Delete step doesn't actually remove the full row, but it only removes the information. 

Let me know if this works for you 

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Hey @Richard schurq.! Just wanted to check in here to see if you were able to try out the Storage app in regards to getting the correct coupon. Let us know - we’d love to help you complete this workflow! It looks like we’re in the last stretch. 🙂

Userlevel 1

Hi @Richard schurq. 

Sorry for the late reply :) 

The reason we need to use a Zapier Storage step before getting the coupon is because we need to increase the Row number each time, i.e.: in the first run of the zap it would find 1, in the second run it should find 2, and so on. You can find more information here https://zapier.com/help/create/storage-and-digests/storage-examples-in-zaps#zap-1-increment . This is because the Delete step doesn't actually remove the full row, but it only removes the information. 

Let me know if this works for you 

No Worries I really appreciate your help. I was away a couple of days myself also :) Let me try and set this up.

Userlevel 1

Yes, I could use some help on this last part @jesse @MohSwellam because the help file confuses me more than it brings clarity.

In what step do I need to place the counter?

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Hi @Richard schurq. 

If the Storage By Zapier is too complicated you can use the Formatter by Zapier. In this case you would look up for the ID 1 we talked about, then after Step 2 add Formatter by Zapier > Number > Perform Math Operation > Add > Input would be the row number where you found the ID 1 then add another input which is simple 1 (so we will be adding 1 to the row number) 

Then in the update step (which is currently Step 3 but will become Step 4), add this output as the Row Number

Hope this makes it clearer :)

Userlevel 1

Hi @MohSwellam  I have managed to get things working. Thank you very much for your support.

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Awesome @Richard schurq. !! 

May I ask which solution you ended up using? If its not already one of the replies mentioned above, it would be great if you clarify it so others can use it as well :) 

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Oh yes @Richard schurq. I’d also be interested in which solution ended up doing the trick!

Thanks for the ideas here @MohSwellam !