Best answer

How to include the previous message when using the Reply to Email Gmail action

When using Gmail Reply to Email, the reply only uses the Subject of the Thread ID, but it does not include the previous conversation.

How can I set up Reply to Email to include the history as well, so it looks like a normal reply as if it was done in Gmail itself?

icon

Best answer by Troy Tessalone 16 May 2021, 16:59

View original

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

10 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @Muckael 

Try including the Body of the previous email in the reply.

Hi @Muckael 

Try including the Body of the previous email in the reply.

Thanks, but now it looks like the Body is part of my email and not the text I’ve replied to

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@Muckael 

Can you please provide screenshots of how your have your Zap step configured?

Zap

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@Muckael 

Try putting some form of a line break (e.g. ###) in between the reply content and the original message content.

NOTE: You may have to adjust your Gmail settings as well related to how the Signature is included.

How do I add a signature? I cannot find it in the “Reply to Email in Gmail” action.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@Muckael 

Appears you have to add the Signature as part of the HTML Reply you’re adding to the Reply Email Body.

What is the point of “Reply to Email in Gmail” if it has less functionality than “Send Email”?

I can also add the body of the previous mail by adding a “Find Email” step (which I have to do anyway for both actions).

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@Muckael

These actions can be used differently for different use cases, but each trigger/actions/search does have limitations.

If you’d like to put in a feature request or feedback about this app’s actions, you can open a ticket with Zapier Support here: https://zapier.com/app/get-help

Userlevel 3
Badge +5

Hi @Muckael, I hope you’re well, I just wanted to check in here!

For the “Reply to Email” in Gmail Action vs the “Send Email” Action, the main difference is that “Reply to Email” allows for the Zap to reply to the same Gmail email thread that triggered the Zap. The “Send Email” Action doesn’t have this ability and just creates a new thread altogether.

We currently have an open feature requests for the “Reply to Email” Action to have better parity with how traditional email works (include the original body of the email on the reply, support signatures). I’ve added your vote to help track user interest as well as so we can let you know when this functionality is available :-)