Best answer

How to improve my integration between Google Sheets and Mailchimp

• 24 November 2020
  • 2 replies

I created my first, non trivial, ZAP connecting Google Spreadsheets with Mailchimp. So far I’m extremely (positively) impressed by this tool. My congratulations to the Zapier team for developing such a powerful yet simple-to-use tool. As a technical person I can be critical of online tools, but for Zapier I really have (and want) to give credit to the tool and to the excellent team that created it.

Here my question.

I have a list of attributes on my spreadsheet (they come from my eCommerce platform) and I want to update the matching Mailchimp subscribers profile with those attributes in order to use them (with merge tags) to customize the email communications. I added a couple of filter to skip lines from the spreadsheet without a proper email, and to include only subscribers in the next batch of order deliveries. Magically everything works and the attributes move from the spreadsheet to Mailchimp!

I only have a couple of questions:

1. When my ZAP tries to update a user that is unsubscribed on Mailchimp, I’m getting an error (Mailchimp ran into an error: Member In Compliance State - xyz@mydomain.net is in a compliance state due to unsubscribe, bounce, or compliance review and cannot be subscribed.). I tried to add a filter to skip unsubscribers but due to my limited knowledge of Zapier I was not able to create such a filter. Any suggestion?
  2. If I leave the Google spreadsheet open on my browser for a while, something is triggering several activation of my Zap even if the data in the triggering cells doesn’t change. looks liek the cause is the recalculation of the cells even if the cell’s value doesn’t change (many cells values are calculated by a Javascript formula). Any suggestion on how to avoid that?

Thank you for any suggestion or recommendation,

-- Franco

icon

Best answer by Danvers 25 November 2020, 15:58

View original

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

2 replies

I found a solution to the first issue:

I create a Mailchimp Action to search for the Subscriber on Mailchimp.
Then I added a next step with a filter that blocks the Zap if the Subscriber Status is not “subscribed”.

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Hi @Franco!

I found a solution to the first issue:

I create a Mailchimp Action to search for the Subscriber on Mailchimp.
Then I added a next step with a filter that blocks the Zap if the Subscriber Status is not “subscribed”.

It sounds like you’ve done a great job in figuring out a lot of this already!

For your second question, you’re right that if formulas in a sheet are recalculating data, that could cause a Zap with the New or Updated Spreadsheet Row trigger to fire.

The best way to prevent this is to choose a specific column that will trigger the Zap, so the Zap only triggers when data in that column is changed.