Best answer

How to grant folder access in Google Drive via Zapier without coding?

• 8 November 2022
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge

in zapier when adding G Drive we can only add file sharing preference, not folder.

Is coding the only way to add certain people to have access to a certain folder?

I saw one java code about it and don’t understand the code.

icon

Best answer by SamB 26 March 2024, 15:57

View original

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Hi @wishstr 

Technically yes that is the only way, BUT, if the parent folder is set to anyone with Link Can View, all the folders you create inside it would be set to the same preference. You can then use Zapier to create the folder, get the folder self link (or alternate link) and then use a gmail action (or any email action) to share this link with anyone you want

Userlevel 2
Badge

Thanks for the suggestion. This seems workable. But instead of being able to see the folders visibly if given the access, one has to bookmark each link and access each folder via URL. So 20 folders means keeping a list of 20 URLs.

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Hmmm well there are always work arounds (I do love a workaround 😃) 

How about we create a Google Doc / Google Sheet for every client / Project and send it in the email? Once they open it, it would stay in their GDoc / GSheet view. 

You can also make one master sheet with all the links. I dont eanna make it more complicated but we can have a forgot link form. 

The ideas are limitless 😃

Userlevel 2
Badge

I thought of compiling a list of links on a D doc or sheet yesterday. but it’s still quite a pain to have to look up this to get the link for each desired folder, instead of being able to view the folders visually if given the access. If only zapier will create a step for folder sharing like they have to file sharing in the future. Wouldn’t this be a much desired feature?

Userlevel 6
Badge +8

Hi @wishstr !

This is a feature request we have for the Google Drive integration, so I have gone ahead and logged your email as a vote for that feature. I don't have an ETA on when that might happen, we get so many feature requests every day, but we do use these lists when we're working on app updates.

As we have your email logged as a vote there, we will be sure to drop you an email to let you know as soon as we get any news on that front.

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Hey folks,

I’m happy to report that the feature request has since been closed as it’s possible set up folder sharing using a Add File Sharing Preference action. You’d just need to add folder’s ID into the File Id field as a custom value. For example: 
c2f35fb73f9db5bb63bec4575e020d3c.png

That said, if you run into any trouble with that do let us know and we’ll be happy to assist. In the meantime, happy Zapping! ⚡