Question

How to filter Notion "updated Database item" by the specific property that was updated?

• 13 December 2023
  • 4 replies

I’ve got a Notion database with a bunch of properties on, but I only want to trigger my Zap when a specific property (“property A”) is updated. However, the “updated Database item” triggers on every single change to the database, and I can’t find a way of filtering it to just changes to Property A.

Property A will always ‘exist’ on the database item, and I just want to trigger the Zap when it changes. But because it always exists, it always comes through to Zapier as a field, so I can’t use a filter where Property A exists… 

What I need is a way of either filtering the trigger to only trigger for certain properties/columns (The Google Sheets ‘updated row’ trigger has this) or for the trigger to only pass through data that has changed since the last update.

Any ideas/guidance? What am I missing?

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @sam-accurx 

Good question.

Perhaps add a Notion automation to set a value in a different column to help track when that specific field value changed, then you can filter on that field in the Zap.

This is my question as well. Up!

Hello again Sam!
What do you want to do after?
I’ve found an automation on Notion that solved my problem. You can set the exact property and even choose the values you’re interested in.
I have automated sending a Slack message when a specific property is updated on a database, and it works perfectly.

Zapier is great for automating maybe another part of manual tasks :)