Question

How to feed files into a ChatGPT Assistant?

Hi,

I’ve been trying to get a reply from a ChatGPT assistant taking into account uploaded files, and I haven’t figure out any way to make it work.

I’ve tried uploading them to the Assistant directly from the New Files option - I can’t get it to work.

I’ve tried uploading them to ChatGPT and referencing them in the Existing Files option - can’t get it to work either, although I do see the uploaded files in ChatGPT, get a reference to them in the Zap following the upload, etc ...

Tried resetting the ZAP, tried mentioning the file name/ID within the Assistant’s instructions - doesn’t work for me.

The responses I get from the Assistant either refer to inability to get to the file, examples:

• “Given the current limitations of this platform, I cannot directly access or review the file ...”
  • “I'm unable to directly access attachments uploaded through email or those mentioned that are not accessible via the `myfiles_browser` tool”

I would appreciate any guidance or an example of at least one way of setting an Assistant to receive and comment on files 🙏

Thanks,

Yohay

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Check out the below example of a Zap that includes both options (uploading using New Files directly, and uploading to ChatGPT and using the Existing Files options).

Zap settings:

Zap run examples:

11 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @yohayetsion 

You may need to use a different Zap trigger to get the individual attachments.

The variable you have mapped is “All Attachments”, which if there are multiple attachments will be a ZIP file, which ChatGPT likely can’t use.

Hi,

I changed the trigger accordingly:

But still the same result.

I’m able to upload the attachment to ChatGPT:

Search and find it in ChatGPT:

Use it:

But still the Assistant cannot get to it:

Also, using the attachment directly in New Files:

Still cannot access it:

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@yohayetsion 

One thing to try is to use the TXT file output from GDrive for the file to upload to ChatGPT.

NOTE: In your Zap steps, you likely don’t need Zap step 8, instead you can map the data points from Zap step 6.

Field description includes a link to supported file formats.

https://platform.openai.com/docs/assistants/tools/supported-files

Thanks Troy, but unfortunately I still get the same “cannot access” messages from the Assistant 🤦‍♂️

I’ve used both the regularly uploaded DOCX as well as converting to text text file from GDrive (using the “Convert to Document” option in GDrive upload …

Any other ideas?

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@yohayetsion 

If you are mapping data from GDrive, make sure the link is for a publicly accessible file.

You may need to change the GDrive File Sharing Preference.

Help article about sending files in Zaps: https://zapier.com/help/create/basics/send-files-in-zaps

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@yohayetsion 

Also, check the OpenAI status page for ongoing/recent incidents: https://status.openai.com

@yohayetsion

If you are mapping data from GDrive, make sure the link is for a publicly accessible file.

You may need to change the GDrive File Sharing Preference.

Help article about sending files in Zaps: https://zapier.com/help/create/basics/send-files-in-zaps

Well I checked, and it’s accessible:

But regardless, the fact I am able to upload the files to OpenAI and even get a link to them when searched independently, seems not to indicate inability to get the file itself … 🤦‍♂️

Guys,

Appreciate any other assistance or guidance on alternatives 🤷‍♂️

Was anyone able to build Zaps in which ChatGPT Assistants comment on uploaded files? Appreciate if you can share so I can follow your lead 🙏

Thanks,
Yohay

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Hi there @yohayetsion! 👋

I just ran a quick test in my own Zap and was able to upload a Google Doc to ChatGPT and retrieve information from it. I wonder if the issue might be how the file is referenced in the message for the assistant? It looks like you’re referencing like this:
0fe876580954deec6daffd947b2a68d5.png

And here’s how I referenced my uploaded file in the message:
218d8d557c22406aeaea2033c9eae3e9.png
In the Existing Files field I selected the ID for the file that the previous action uploaded:
 d2d1a70ec76cfcbf35c3ced25bf657ac.png

And it worked as expected. So I wonder if it might be better to include the file in your message more along the lines of “Review the email text as well as the “[--selected filename field goes here--]” file. Then summarise the following:...”. Rather than referencing the file name and it’s ID on separate lines in that Message field.

Can you give that a try and let me know if that works any better?

Hi,

Just to update that I’ve checked all of the above to no avail, and then found the problem - I’ve been using the ChatGPT discussion thread parameter, and it somehow screws up the Assistants’s ability to reach the files (albeit being uploaded to the system).

Yohay

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@yohayetsion 

Can you clarify which field you mean for the “discussion thread parameter” by posting a screenshot of the field?