Question

How to Extract Info from a PDF using ChatGPT

• 28 March 2024
  • 5 replies

Hello All, 

I have what I would think would be pretty simple but can’t figure it out. I would like ChatGPT to extract and organize certain information from a PDF. 

Situation: when I receive a court notice, I manually drop the file into my Clio account in a folder. From there, I want a trigger zap “New Document in Clio” to begin by taking the file and having ChatGPT to extract information such as case number, scheduled date, time, and other important information and populate the information into 1.) My Asana; 2.) My Clio and Google Calendar; and 3.) Other possibilities not yet conceived. 

I am pretty new to ChatGPT. I have the paid version, ChatGPT4 for one month. Within the site itself, I can add the court’s notice PDF into ChatGPT and then ask it to extract said data and it does so well. Through Zapier, I have not been able to figure out where I can access the PDF when I’ve uploaded it on a previous zap. Also, I am quite confused on a lot of the required information within the “Action” section of the Zap. I was also confused that it appeared it wanted me to create an OpenAI account to get the API Key to link to Zapier and then it appears that you need another subscription? I’ve seen some sample Zaps use another program called PDF.co before sending it to ChatGPT - I’d like to avoid having to have another application / subscription if possible and again, through the website it handles the PDF as is without having to turn it to a word doc or otherwise use OCR.

Through the website so I know it can be done.
The steps I would think are needed.
No where to attach the PDF - not sure where it goes once it’s uploaded. 

If there is a way to get this done, on the path I’m going down, or something different, any help would be appreciated! - Joe

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @Joski 

Try using this Zap action: ChatGPT - Conversation with Assistant

Map the File ID from the previous step to the Existing Files field.

NOTE: You probably don’t see the step to Find File.

Supported file formats: https://platform.openai.com/docs/assistants/tools/supported-files

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction @Troy Tessalone 

I have made those adjustments. I think the first time I ran it I got an error message (that I didn’t screenshoot). Then the next time around it sort of did what I wanted but it provided made-up information. Then the next time I tried it said I ran out of tokens or something and had to wait 20. 

Did I make a mistake somewhere?

Joe

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@Joski 

Help articles to reference for using ChatGPT: https://zapier.com/apps/chatgpt/help

You may need to set the field: Model

You may need to make the prompt more explicit.

Maybe a stupid question, but how do I get this to work with Model ChatGPT4? I have the paid version but on Zapier, it only allows 3.5 models.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@Joski 

Check these articles:

Help articles to reference for using ChatGPT: https://zapier.com/apps/chatgpt/help