Best answer

How to extract data from a submitted form in Gmail

• 12 April 2023
  • 3 replies

I need to extract some details from email received by a 3rd party via Gmail. And push this data to my CRM. My CRM is connected to Zapier and is easily able to accept and match any data fields from the zap. However, I can’t seem to extract the precise data I need. 

Below is a sample of what comes into my Gmail business account from a 3rd party commercial website. I don’t want this sender email in my CRM, only the data they send me. The sender email is always the same so it’s easy to identify these emails for the zap. It comes in the following format (in HTML). 

Sent from: mail@xxx.com   (this is the sender)

This enquiry has been sent from a user on xxx.com. View the details of the property: 123 Main Street, Somewhere (NEW WAREHOUSE FOR SALE...) From: Joe Bloggs Email: joe@mail.com Phone: 0400 12 3456 Message: Hi there, wanting to inquire about the 500m2 warehouse. Can you please send a map of the complex to let us know where the available ones are located in this complex. Listing ID: 12345678 User IP Address: 123.456.789.123

Email: joe@mail.com
Phone: 0400 12 3456
Message: Hi there, wanting to inquire about the 500m2 warehouse. Can you please send a map of the complex to let us know where the available ones are located in this complex.

The problem is; the data I need is in the body of the email (which includes the table) not the sender fields. When searching for fields to extract, Zapier picks up the whole body without extracting the separate fields I need. 

The desired (ideal) fields for extraction are; 

• First Name: 
  • Last Name: 
  • Email: 
  • Phone: 
  • Listing ID: in blue

I’ve had a look at Email Parser by Zapier, but it doesn’t make sense. Seems to provide less options than standard Gmail extraction if anything.

If there was a way to add extra hooks to the ‘body’ data it might work. Something like;

body: (all the body data here)+Phone=” ”

Any ideas gratefully accepted. 

icon

Best answer by robschmidt 12 April 2023, 06:56

View original

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Hi @Curly 

You should try out the Zapier Mail Parser, you can specify your data points there and it will be able to grab the key data points and provide you the fields for selection in action steps.

Alternatively you can use Regex with Code Step, it’s a bit advanced, however that will give you the most accuracy.

Hi @robschmidt - yes, I took a deeper dive into Email Parser by Zapier via a Youtube video. Did the trick just fine. Thanks. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Awesome, @Curly! Thanks for swing back around to share what your solution was! Glad to hear you were able to get this working for you. 🤗