Question

How To Export New Knack Records to CSV

• 21 September 2023
  • 9 replies

Badge

So I posted a topic on this earlier but it was closed. I am importing records from Docparser PDF scans and need to have all new Docparser scanned data record to Knack and then export to a CSV. For example, if 20 documents are scanned through Docparser, 20 records should be recorded to the Knack table (which works) and then I need 1 CSV file with the 20 records with headers. I can get the GDrive connector to export new records but it separates each record into 1 file each which doesn’t work. 

I tried looping but what do I loop on? There seems to be no common dominator on the loop? How do I tell the loop to just loop for the newest records that were just processed? 

I can’t imagine there is not a way to get Zap or Knack to export the newest records processed to a CSV. CSVs are so common. Does anyone know how to do this? I have been trying to get this working for a month now and it’s holding up a project I am trying to complete. 

I need to build this into the ZAP or Knack workflow. Is it possible to record new records to a GSHEET and then save that as a CSV or something along those lines? If looping works, how do I tell it to loop for new records when there is no common denominator to look at? 

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @smccarthy956 

Good question.

Check out this help article:

OR

Maybe try this Zap app: EasyCSV

https://zapier.com/apps/easycsv/integrations#triggers-and-actions

Badge

I was able to get the Google Sheet to update the rows with the records. However, I cannot figure out how to get the CSV to export. I am able to setup a FIND Google Sheets Zap where it finds the specific sheet and I can see the CSV link. Once I find the sheet, how do I then setup a ZAP to export the CSV file from the link? I have tried setting up a Google Drive to copy the file but it doesn’t work. I find a lot of guides that speak in generalities but not much detail. 

Can you tell me how to setup the Google Drive step to use the CSV link to download the CSV to a file in the Google Drive folder? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@smccarthy956 

To help us have more context, post detailed screenshots with how your Zap steps are configured.

Try this Zap action: GDrive - Find File

Badge

Ok, so I think I am 90% there. This is the ZAP configuration I have so far. It is loading the records and writing them to the Google Sheet I have setup. All new records are being written to the sheet and I can then publish the Sheet link in another ZAP step and have it write the Google Sheet to a CSV. I have tested this and it works. 

The only issue I am trying to figure out is how to get Zapier to delete the records once the CSV is downloaded. I need to start over with a blank spreadsheet because I only want the new records saved to the CSV. I tried using the delete record command but you can only delete 1 row at a time. 

The other idea I have is to add a field where it’s marked either Y or N depending on whether it’s been downloaded to the sheet and then having the ZAP update it to Y if it has been downloaded and using a filter to only download anything marked with a N. 

Unless anyone else can think of something? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@smccarthy956 

To clear a GSheet or delete a range of data in a GSheet, you can use the GSheets API: https://developers.google.com/sheets/api/guides/concepts

If you need help, consider hiring a Certified Zapier Expert.

Badge

Troy the entire point of using these tools is not to have to hire a developer. There are many ways to make this work and I just need some help with steps here and there. If the answer is going to be to hire a developer, I am going to give up on this forum. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@smccarthy956

For context, many apps can have 100s of webhook events and API endpoints (aka triggers/actions).

Most Zap app integrations only expose the most common/popular of these.

Many of which are non-destructive so those are not misused in automations. (e.g. delete)

That is why Zapier supports low-code for advanced approaches via these apps:

• Code
  • Webhooks
  • API Request
  • App Extension
    • There is an AI assistant that may be able to help you configure the desired action
Badge

I used to write assembly. I am the original author of the AT command set for Hayes Modems so I think I can handle a low code platform if I had some documentation and a little help. Remember modems? I hold the patent on the command set. 

I am sure I can figure out Knack and Zapier if I had a little help instead of generic answers with documents that are sorely lacking in detail. Many documents say “use the google drive upload function” but there is no explanation as to what the fields do, parameters, etc. 

My point being I just wish there was more detail available or I was able to get some guidance as to how to set something up because if I am shown 1 time I will get it forever. I really like Knack and Zapier. I think they are amazing products and that's why we use them to write our solutions. I just wish there was more help or examples to help get up to speed on the more complex functions. 

And maybe you should have a switch to expose the destructive functions to users who sign off on it. I would love to have a function to be able to delete multiple rows on a spreadsheet without having to go through a huge work around or write API code which basically puts me back to code level development. Let users who accept destructive functions use them at their own risk. 

Anyway, I am not trying to get on you guys because I do appreciate the effort and I know Zapier has a lot of functions to cover. It’s just frustrating sometimes to figure it out but I think I am getting it. 

Again, they are great products. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@smccarthy956

Did you try this for GSheets?

• App Extension
    • There is an AI assistant that may be able to help you configure the desired action

Many fields in Zap app triggers/actions have field descriptions that can provide guidance.

Feedback and feature requests are best submitted via a ticket to Zapier Support to be properly logged: https://zapier.com/app/get-help

There are 6,500 Zap apps on Zapier.

Most Zap apps are created and maintained by the app developers themselves using the Zapier Developer Platform.

Having documentation and examples for an infinite # of possible use cases is just not realistic, especially for the more complex cases.

If you need help with the more advanced approaches, you can try hiring a Certified Zapier Expert: https://zapier.com/experts

By the way, I don’t work for Zapier, but I am a Certified Zapier Expert, who donates my time freely to the Zapier Community to try to help other Zapier users.