Question

How to export Google Slides to a PDF

• 4 October 2021
  • 10 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge

I have an Airtable to Zapier To Google Slide Template set up.  All that works fine.  

I’ve created a new presentation from a template with data, so we’re good.  I can find the presentation in another step.

*Here’s where I get lost*
I need to export that presentation to a PDF so I can send it via gmail.  I’ve tried Upload File to Google Drive and couldn’t get it to work.  I saw @Troy Tessalone mention GSlides will do it, but I don’t see any apps called GSlides, so maybe I’m looking in the wrong place. (

)

Any ideas?  Is it easier to do with a Google Doc?

Thanks,
Jonathan

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

10 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @JoFo 

Try finding the GSlides file in GDrive using a GDrive Find File action.

That will return a PDF version of the GSlides file in GDrive.

Example

Output

Userlevel 1
Badge

I found the file using the GDrive Find method.. I think.  But then when I made the next step to send it via Gmail, this is what I got.

This post has been edited by a moderator to remove personal information. Please remember that this is a public forum and to remove any sensitive information prior to posting. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@JoFo 

Please post screenshots of how your have you Gmail Zap step configure with the variable mapped to the Attachment field.

NOTE: Your GDrive file (GSlides) needs to be publicly accessible.

You can check this by copying/pasting the application/pdf link in a new private browser to see if it renders.

You may have to add another step before to adjust the GDrive File Sharing Permissions.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Troy, I’ve had to block out some items for “personal information”.  So pardon the marks on here.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @JoFo 

File Types should be set to GSlides.

Attachments needs to be a file object as indicated by the field description, rather than the name of the file.

Search for “file” and select "file (exists but not shown)”.

Help articles about sending files in Zaps:

https://zapier.com/help/create/basics/send-files-in-zaps

https://zapier.com/help/create/basics/different-field-types-in-zaps#step-4

Userlevel 1
Badge

@Troy Tessalone 

This worked as far as attaching the google slide.  It worked perfectly.  The only step I’m missing is how to send it as a PDF.  It sent it as a .pptx or Slide file.

Thanks for you help! So close!

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@JoFo 

You’ll need to use the PDF output link from the GDrive Find File step.

Userlevel 1
Badge

I just don’t see it my man.  Not sure what I’m missing. @Troy Tessalone 

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@JoFo

It will be in the output of the GDrive Find File step, so that you can map the data point to the Gmail step.

Try searching for ‘pdf’ in the Gmail Attachments field when trying to map a variable.

Userlevel 1
Badge

@Troy Tessalone , this is what worked.  Thanks for the guidance.