Skip to main content
Question

How to export Airtable records as CSV for processing with ChatGPT action in Zapier?

• 17 August 2024
  • 4 replies

Hi. I’m currently working on a Zap where I need to export around 100 records from an Airtable table and pass that data to the ChatGPT action in Zapier. I’ve noticed that while Google Sheets has an action to grab a CSV file, I haven’t found a similar CSV export option for Airtable.

What would be the best approach to export all records from Airtable as a CSV file so that I can process it with an LLM like ChatGPT in Zapier?

Any suggestions or workarounds would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for your help!

This should be clear and concise enough to encourage responses while providing enough detail for others to understand your challenge.

Hi @MJ_IATC 

That will likely involve using the Airtable API: https://airtable.com/developers/web/api/introduction

Resources for using app APIs in Zaps:

Hi @MJ_IATC 👋

Just wanted to check in here to see how things are going. Were you able to export the records from Airtable as a CSV using their API? 

Want to ensure you’re all set here so please do keep us updated on how things are progressing! 🙂

Thanks for following up @SamB . I looked but unless I missed it, I don’t think Airtable has an api option for exporting CSV. 

This thread mentions two other ways. One is a third party paid service. The other is, interestingly, Make.com’s method for getting a CSV. 

That latter method is what I was hoping Zapier might have?

Thanks for getting back to me @MJ_IATC

We don’t have a CSV exporter tool for Airtable unfortunately. Though it looks like Make’s method would require you to have a list of the data that you would then turn into a CSV, it wouldn’t be generate a CSV export from Airtable directly. 

Perhaps, you could set up a Custom Action for Airtable to retrieve all the records in a table? Custom actions have an AI copilot that would create the necessary fields and code for you - see our Create a custom action guide to learn more. Then, you could use an app like EasyCSV to generate a CSV file. Or, you could add the records to a Google Sheet and use Google Drive’s export link to obtain a CSV version of the spreadsheet: 

Do you think that approach might work for your needs here?