Question

How to delete a Google Calendar event when deleting a row in Sheets and vice-versa

Userlevel 1

Hello everyone,

This is my first post here. Thank you for having me.

I have a very simple system already in place and working just fine, where when a new Google Form entry is submitted, it automatically creates a row in a Sheet and also an event in Google Calendar. The first part of the automation is built-in to the Google ecosystem, while the second part is only possible with Zapier.

Sadly, sometimes I need to manually remove a specific row in the Sheet and its correspondent Google Calendar event. I was hoping that this could also be automated, but I haven’t been able to do so.

Can this be done using Zapier? Idealy, it would work both ways: if I manually delete a row from the Sheet, it would automatically delete its corresponding Google Calendar event or, if I manually delete a Google Calendar event, it would automatically delete its corresponding row in the Sheet. With that said, I would be more than happy if it would just work one way, either by deleting a row and automatically deleting the corresponding event, or by deleting an event and automatically deleting the corresponding row.

Is this doable?

Thank you so much for taking the time. It’s really appreciated.

All the best,

Rui

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

10 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Try this…

When you create the GCal Event, store the Event ID on the GSheet row in a new column.

This data point can then be referenced to be used to do a GSheet Lookup Row action followed by a GSheet Delete Row action.

Use the GCal Event Cancelled (or deleted) trigger to start the Zap.

Userlevel 1

Hi @Troy Tessalone ,

Thank you for your reply.

I don’t create Google Calendar events. All rows in my Sheet start as Google Form entries. Those generate new rows and, through Zapier, automatically generate the Calendar events. Does it make sense?

I’m afraid that your solution might add an additional manual step on my part. If I understand correctly, I would have to copy the event ID into a cell in my Sheet, right? Is that it? If not, please do tell me how you’d do it.

I immagined that there would be a way to delete a row from the Sheet and trigger Zapier to delete the corresponding event in Calendar, but that might not be as simple as I thought :)

Thank you so much for taking the time.

All the best,

Rui

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

I don’t create Google Calendar events. All rows in my Sheet start as Google Form entries. Those generate new rows and, through Zapier, automatically generate the Calendar events. Does it make sense?

Add another step to this Zap to do this: GSheet Update Row.

Populate the Event ID of the GCal Event into a new column called Event ID.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

For GSheets, there is no trigger for deleted row available, hence why it’s suggested to work the opposite direction and use GCal Event Cancelled (or deleted) as the trigger, to then lookup/delete the GSheet row.

Userlevel 1

I see.

The part that I don’t get is, how do I automatically populate the Event ID column? I’m so sorry, but I’m really confused about the whole thing now :)

Thank you so much.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Zap

1. Trigger: GSheet New Row
  2. Action: GCal Create Detailed Event
  3. Action: GSheet Update Row (dynamically choose the Row ID from step 1 and update the Event ID column with Event ID from step 2)
Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Hi @ruiguerreiro!

To elaborate on what Troy said above, here’s how you would select the row that you want to update:

Then you would update your Event ID column with the ID that comes from your Create Detailed Event step:

Hope that helps to clarify!

Userlevel 1

Hello there, @nicksimard,

Sorry for the late reply. Three days busy at work kept me away from the computer.

Just to clarify something that occur to me: what you and @Troy Tessalone are trying to show me can only be achieved with multiple steps, righ? Not just the two allowed with the free account. I hope this is why I can’t figure out how to do this.

Thanks for your kind help.

All the best,

Rui

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Yes, multiple steps in the Zap are needed.

Userlevel 1

Oh, so that’s where I’m doing it wrong :) It makes sense, now.

Well, I’ll have to rethink the whole thing. I’m not sure I can afford the paid service as of now.

Thank you so much for your help, regardless. It was really appreciated.

All the best,

Rui