Question

How to delay Zapier social media posts by 2 hours when uploading a few new products at a time in Google Sheets?

• 17 October 2023
  • 14 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Inside my google sheet document I might upload 10 new products at a time.

Inside zapier the zap will run everytime a new row is added to google sheets.(trigger)

It will then post to social media every row.

Because I add 10 rows at a time, it will batch run 10 posts.

I want to delay each post by 2 hours so I dont end up spamming my facebook group.

Post 1 - SEND
Post 2 - Delay 2 hours
Post 3 - Delay 4 hours
Post 4 - Delay 6 hours

etc...

14 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @Englander 

Good question.

Try adding this Zap action: Delay - After Queue

https://zapier.com/help/create/customize/add-delays-to-zaps#delay-after-queue

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@Englander 

As an alternative, you can use Airtable instead of GSheets.

In Airtable you can use Date/Time field types to set a date & time.

You can use a Formula field to detect if the Date & Time have passed from NOW().

You can use a View with Filter conditions to trigger Zaps.

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Hi @Englander 

Good question.

Try adding this Zap action: Delay - After Queue

https://zapier.com/help/create/customize/add-delays-to-zaps#delay-after-queue

Thanks for your response.

I’ve tried this a few times but it does not seem to function in that way as the trigger has already loaded the batch of new rows.

No matter where I put that delay, its delaying the batch and not the individual post.

Currently its

1. New row in GS
  2. Post to Facebook

If I place the delay queue it’s unclear where it should go, altho I’ve tried numerous different ways

1. New row in GS
  2. Delay Queue (seems to pause the batch)
  3. Post to Facebook (Post the batch)
  1. New row in GS
  2. Post to FB
  3. Delay Queue (too late as the batch has been posted in step 2)
Userlevel 1
Badge +1

@Englander

As an alternative, you can use Airtable instead of GSheets.

In Airtable you can use Date/Time field types to set a date & time.

You can use a Formula field to detect if the Date & Time have passed from NOW().

You can use a View with Filter conditions to trigger Zaps.

Im sure its a good workaround, one I may consider down the road but for now Its anothe expense in time and learning Id prefer to avoid if possible.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@Englander 

The Delay would be Step 2.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@Englander 

Delay after queue

The Delay After Queue option allows you to create a queue of actions to run at a later time. When a Zap is triggered, it adds actions to the queue. The queue then plays the actions one at a time in the order that they were added to the queue. There is a delay between each set of actions for a Zap. The Zap will be delayed for a set time after the last delay in the queue.

This can be useful if you are running into limits with too many requests to an app, or if you have multiple Zaps that may try to update a record at the same time.

To use Delay After Queue:

• In the Zap editor, click the Action step, or click the plus + icon to add an action.
  • Search for and select Delay.
  • In App & event, click the Action Event dropdown menu and select Delay After Queue.
  • Click Continue.
  • In the Queue Title field, enter a title for your queue.
  • In the Time Delayed For (value) field, enter the amount of time (in numbers) the Zap should hold a task for. 
  • Click the Time Delayed For (unit) dropdown menu and select a unit of time.
  • Click Continue.
The maximum time a task can be held for is for one month (31 days). Since tasks will be queued, the maximum number of tasks in the queue depends on the Time Delayed For (value) value. For example, if you set the delay to one day, the maximum number of tasks in the queue will be 31. If a 32nd task is created within that period, it will error on the delay step because the scheduled time it will be released is too far away.
8843673cace5f7b922c65168a85d657e.png Tip

Multiple Zaps can share the same queue if they use the same queue name. Zapier recommends you enter a static value for the queue title instead of mapping a field from a previous step.

335619ab6472fe1fefab18d493cb39bf.png Note

The Delay After Queue action does not guarantee that the steps following it will never run simultaneously. Slowdowns in Zapier’s infrastructure and auto or manual Zap run replays after errors may cause some steps to still run at the same time.

Limitations

• Tasks can be held for a maximum time of one month (31 days). 
  • Your Zap must be on for the Delay to run. Any actions scheduled to run while a Zap is off won’t run when you turn your Zap on again.
  • Delay releases instantly when:
    • The Date/Time Delay Until value is set in the past.
    • The Time Delayed For value is 0 or a negative number.
  • If you change any part of your Zap during a delay, your Zap will not continue once the Zap resumes. We define change as switching actions, replacing apps, add steps or delete steps. 
  • If you replay a Zap run, any Delay For steps that did not run yet will start when the Zap is replayed. 

After setting up your delay, click Test & Review and check if the date matches the delay conditions you’ve set up.

ratingStar icon Tip

If you want your action(s) to run based on a recurring event that doesn't occur at fixed intervals, you can create a recurring event in Google Calendar and add a Google Calendar action to schedule your action(s).

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

@Englander

Delay after queue

The Delay After Queue option allows you to create a queue of actions to run at a later time. When a Zap is triggered, it adds actions to the queue. The queue then plays the actions one at a time in the order that they were added to the queue. There is a delay between each set of actions for a Zap. The Zap will be delayed for a set time after the last delay in the queue.

Thank you, I have read this previously, but, as mentioned it’s not functioning this way and regards to the order of actions, I have set up this way and the other ways still resulting in the same problem.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@Englander 

We would need to see detailed screenshots with how your Zap steps are configured.

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

@Troy Tessalone this is a 3 step zap. I have personal information of which I do not wish to share. Im also experienced using zapier so I know what you need and dont need to see.

This is only the information you need:

1. Trigger = “new row in google sheets”
  2. Action = Delay after queue (2 hours)
  3. Action = Send to Facebook Group

Perhaps you can send a detailed guide on how you would configure these 3 steps.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@Englander

Can you please provide screenshots as proof of how your Zap steps are configured?

That would not require showing any personal info and can be redacted in screenshots.

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

@Englander

Can you please provide screenshots as proof of how your Zap steps are configured?

@Troy Tessalone this is a 3 step zap. I have personal information of which I do not wish to share. Im also experienced using zapier so I know what you need and dont need to see.

This is only the information you need:

1. Trigger = “new row in google sheets”
  2. Action = Delay after queue (2 hours)
  3. Action = Send to Facebook Group

Perhaps you can send a detailed guide on how you would configure these 3 steps.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@Englander

Ok, if you are unable to provide screenshots with how your Zap steps are configured, then I’m limited in my ability to evaluate and advise on whether your Zap steps are configured correctly.

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

@Englander

Ok, if you are unable to provide screenshots with how your Zap steps are configured, then I’m limited in my ability to evaluate and advise on whether you Zap steps are configured correctly.

Cool 👍

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Hi there, @Englander! 👋

I wonder if you could get around this by just adding a column to the Google Sheet where you add the product details to state how many minutes or hours you want to set the delay for? Then you’d set the Delay by Zapier action to use the Delay For rather than the Delay After Queue. And in the Time Delayed For (value) field (on the Delay action) you’d select the value from the extra column that was added in Google Sheets.

Do you think that sort of approach could work?