Best answer

How to create empty folders in proper nested folders? (Using SmartSheet & Gdrive )

• 10 August 2022
  • 5 replies

Hi Everyone! 

My question is a little specific, but I would appreciate any help or recommendations. For my intended Zap, I’m using SmartSheet & Gdrive. 

My goal is to create new empty folders in specific Gdrive nested folders as new rows are added to my Smartsheet. This is my current GDrive Set up. 

1. Company 1 
    1. Folder 1
    2. Folder 2 
    3. Folder 3 
      1. Sub-Folder 1 
      2. Sub-Folder 2 
      3. Sub-Folder 3
      4. Sub-Folder 4 

My intention is that when a new row is added to SmartSheet, Zapier uses references from the row to confirm where is should go in GDrive. For example, a new site gets added to the SmartSheet. Zapier will create a folder based on the State, City, and Property Name. Then, Zapier should know that the new site folder goes into Company 1, Folder 3, Sub-Folder 4. 

I’ve been able to successfully create a folder based on the State, City, and Property Name, but cannot seem to find a solution that will allow me to tailor the direction of where that new site folder should go. 

In my SmartSheet, I have column names such as Company Name, Sheet Name, Property Name, etc. I was planning to use them as references for Zapier to reference for the Zap. 

Let me know your thoughts. Appreciative it!

icon

Best answer by christina.d 6 September 2022, 21:04

View original

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@Navin 

Zapier has a Find Folder in Google Drive action where you can search for a folder by name. You may need to chain a few of these together if your folder names are not unique. 

@GetUWired Appreciate the feedback! I initially attempted to use that for my intended purpose but it fails to automatically match and place the new folder I’m creating. Even if I use a Zap Filter, I would have to create 20+ Zaps for my new folders to be directly matched and placed into. 

I’m looking for a solution where Zapier can match the Parent folder with an identifier within SmartSheet. That way when a new row is added into SmartSheet, it automatically uses an identifier(such as a company name) to place the new folder in the intended Parent folder. Thanks!

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

You would need to map the folder id returned from the Find step into the id field for the Create Folder step. That is assuming you have enough of an identifier to find the correct folder. Having only the company name gets you into the top folder (i.e Company 1) but what other identifiers do you have to then know you need to go into Folder 3 > Subfolder 4? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Hey @Navin I just wanted to check in here! Were you able to map the Folder ID from the “Find Folder” Step into the folder field for the “Create Folder” step? That should help you match up the parent folder with an identifier in Smartsheet. However, as @GetUWired said, this assumes your identifier is unique enough to find the correct folder. Is that making sense? Where are you at now with building this out and how else can we help? Let us know!

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Hey friends! I wanted to swing by and summarize some of the recommendations from @GetUWired and @jesse. 🙂

Zapier has a Find Folder in Google Drive action where you can search for a folder by name. You may need to chain a few of these together if your folder names are not unique. You would need to map the folder id returned from the Find step into the id field for the Create Folder step. That is assuming you have enough of an identifier to find the correct folder. Having only the company name gets you into the top folder (i.e Company 1) but what other identifiers do you have to then know you need to go into Folder 3 > Subfolder 4? 

...map the Folder ID from the “Find Folder” Step into the folder field for the “Create Folder” step? That should help you match up the parent folder with an identifier in Smartsheet. However, as @GetUWired said, this assumes your identifier is unique enough to find the correct folder. 

I hope this helps!