Best answer

How to create a zap to fill in a web form

• 3 June 2020
  • 6 replies

Is there a way to have Zapier fill in a webform.  I am collecting information from users on facebook and would like to get that information automatically into my CRM.  Unfortunately there are only two ways to do that. Through an import  of a spreadsheet or to fill out one of their forms.  

icon

Best answer by PaulKortman 24 July 2020, 22:52

View original

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

@rlewisdads technically no, zapier cannot fill out a webform. However, depending on the form there is a possibility of submitting the data through a webhook to the form processor. This only works in very limited situations and only if the form is NOT behind a login. If the form is not behind a login can you post a link to the form? If so I’ll be able to look at the form’s code to be able to determine if the form submission can be done via webhook. I have successfully done this with multiple forms in the past. 

@PaulKortman I’m trying to do this as well. I pasted a link below to our “client portal” where anyone can fill out a job request. It does not require a login. We have detailed info that we can zap into this form which will in turn create a request in our CRM (Jobber). Please have a look and let me know if this is possible...if yes then I can host this on my website via a webcode available for this form.

https://clienthub.getjobber.com/client_hubs/73c1fc65-21d6-4a74-9875-a02d2564b277/public/work_request/new?source=social_media

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

@Nekter This is unique for each form, so I dug into it and initially my response was yes, because it’s a “simple” html form with a POST method so you can use a webhook by zapier to pass data to this form. 

However there is a gotcha, so I’m going to paste the html behind that form minus all the styling and labels and stuff we don’t need. This will help for future reference and if anyone else has a similar question

<form id="new_work_request" onsubmit="" action="/client_hubs/73c1fc65-21d6-4a74-9875-a02d2564b277/public/work_request" accept-charset="UTF-8" method="post" _lpchecked="1">
<input type="hidden" name="utf8" value="✓" >
<input type="hidden" name="authenticity_token" value="MLGguC/n9XveE6zrxD8rlwNXhx6fc1GS3WtfEH2G8Y+lmS9Hoble5izZ2wcahN8P1PS03IOTmbMmYcf6DF9QtA==" >
<input type="hidden" name="work_request[source]"value="social_media" id="work_request_source" >
<input type="text" name="contact_first_name" id="contact_first_name" aria-label="First name" >
<input type="text" name="contact_last_name" id="contact_last_name" aria-label="Last name" >
<input type="text" name="company_name" id="company_name" aria-label="Company name (if applicable)" >
<input type="text" name="work_request[email]" aria-label="Email" id="work_request_email">
<input type="text" name="work_request[phone]" aria-label="Phone number" id="work_request_phone" >
<input type="text" name="street1" id="street1" aria-label="Property Street 1" >
<input type="text" name="street2" id="street2" aria-label="Property Street 2" >
<input type="text" name="city" id="city" aria-label="Property City" >
<input type="text" name="province" id="province" aria-label="Property Province" >
<input type="text" name="pc" id="pc" aria-label="Property PC" >
<input type="hidden" name="country" id="country" value="United States" >
<textarea></textarea>
<input type="text">
<input type="text" id="dp1595621988586">
<input type="text" id="dp1595621988587">
<input type="checkbox" id="formItemInput1" value="Any time">
<input type="hidden" name="work_request[custom_form_submission]" value="" id="work_request_custom_form_submission">
<input type="text" name="qrf[hp]" id="qrf_hp" >
<input type="hidden" name="embedded_mode" id="embedded_mode" >
<input type="submit" name="commit" value="Submit" data-ja-track-link="Clicked to Create Work Request from Client Hub" data-ja-source="public" data-ja-section-count="2">
<input type="hidden" name="captcha_token" id="captcha_token" value="">
</form>

First the <form> tag specifically the action and method

So the first thing I check is the actual <form> tag which is the first line in that HTML. it has a URL that makes sense for the action (this would be the URL we’re submit the webhook to) and it has POST as the method, so that tells me I can send a POST webhook to that URL with the body being the contents of the form values and it should work. 

Then I look for Gotcha’s or Captchas

This line concerns me: 

<input type="hidden" name="authenticity_token" value="MLGguC/n9XveE6zrxD8rlwNXhx6fc1GS3WtfEH2G8Y+lmS9Hoble5izZ2wcahN8P1PS03IOTmbMmYcf6DF9QtA==" >

because it says “authenticity_token” and I’m not sure if that value changes each time the form is loaded, or each hour, or only when the form us updated, or never. All of these will play a role in if this form can be submitted via a webhook POST method from Zapier. 

This line also concerns me:

The form is using Google’s Recaptcha to prevent non-humans (essentially Zapier falls into this category) from submitting the form. I’m 90% sure this is a deal-breaker. 

A word about Javascript and Cross-server scripting

Some form generating software uses Javascript to ensure forms aren’t submitted from off-site, the only way to truly know if this is in existence is to attempt the webhook POST call and see what error responses are given as well as inspect network traffic when a form is submitted… both of these are beyond the scope of this free forum. 

In Conclusion: 🤷‍♂️

There is a possibility due to the method and the action of this form. There is a high likelihood that it will not work due to the captcha. Is there some testing that needs to be done to confirm this, yes. Is it worth testing? 🤷‍♂️ I’m not sure. 

If there was a way you could disable the captcha on the form then I would say it’s worth investing time (money) into testing if you can successfully submit a form via a webhook. But even then there’s no guarantee. 

Hi i think i have the same issue but the different is i want to integrate the form in my websites to automate key in the client forms. The forms that we use is a registration form for user to register a campaign. Is there any way to integrate these? Hopefully you can help me with these

Userlevel 1

@Nekter This is unique for each form, so I dug into it and initially my response was yes, because it’s a “simple” html form with a POST method so you can use a webhook by zapier to pass data to this form. 

However there is a gotcha, so I’m going to paste the html behind that form minus all the styling and labels and stuff we don’t need. This will help for future reference and if anyone else has a similar question

<form id="new_work_request" onsubmit="" action="/client_hubs/73c1fc65-21d6-4a74-9875-a02d2564b277/public/work_request" accept-charset="UTF-8" method="post" _lpchecked="1">
<input type="hidden" name="utf8" value="✓" >
<input type="hidden" name="work_request[source]"value="social_media" id="work_request_source" >
<input type="text" name="contact_first_name" id="contact_first_name" aria-label="First name" >
<input type="text" name="contact_last_name" id="contact_last_name" aria-label="Last name" >
<input type="text" name="company_name" id="company_name" aria-label="Company name (if applicable)" >
<input type="text" name="work_request[email]" aria-label="Email" id="work_request_email">
<input type="text" name="work_request[phone]" aria-label="Phone number" id="work_request_phone" >
<input type="text" name="street1" id="street1" aria-label="Property Street 1" >
<input type="text" name="street2" id="street2" aria-label="Property Street 2" >
<input type="text" name="city" id="city" aria-label="Property City" >
<input type="text" name="province" id="province" aria-label="Property Province" >
<input type="text" name="pc" id="pc" aria-label="Property PC" >
<input type="hidden" name="country" id="country" value="United States" >
<textarea></textarea>
<input type="text">
<input type="text" id="dp1595621988586">
<input type="text" id="dp1595621988587">
<input type="checkbox" id="formItemInput1" value="Any time">
<input type="hidden" name="work_request[custom_form_submission]" value="" id="work_request_custom_form_submission">
<input type="text" name="qrf[hp]" id="qrf_hp" >
<input type="hidden" name="embedded_mode" id="embedded_mode" >
<input type="submit" name="commit" value="Submit" data-ja-track-link="Clicked to Create Work Request from Client Hub" data-ja-source="public" data-ja-section-count="2">
</form>

First the <form> tag specifically the action and method

So the first thing I check is the actual <form> tag which is the first line in that HTML. it has a URL that makes sense for the action (this would be the URL we’re submit the webhook to) and it has POST as the method, so that tells me I can send a POST webhook to that URL with the body being the contents of the form values and it should work. 

Then I look for Gotcha’s or Captchas

This line concerns me: 

because it says “authenticity_token” and I’m not sure if that value changes each time the form is loaded, or each hour, or only when the form us updated, or never. All of these will play a role in if this form can be submitted via a webhook POST method from Zapier. 

This line also concerns me:

The form is using Google’s Recaptcha to prevent non-humans (essentially Zapier falls into this category) from submitting the form. I’m 90% sure this is a deal-breaker. 

A word about Javascript and Cross-server scripting

Some form generating software uses Javascript to ensure forms aren’t submitted from off-site, the only way to truly know if this is in existence is to attempt the webhook POST call and see what error responses are given as well as inspect network traffic when a form is submitted… both of these are beyond the scope of this free forum. 

In Conclusion: 🤷‍♂️

There is a possibility due to the method and the action of this form. There is a high likelihood that it will not work due to the captcha. Is there some testing that needs to be done to confirm this, yes. Is it worth testing? 🤷‍♂️ I’m not sure. 

If there was a way you could disable the captcha on the form then I would say it’s worth investing time (money) into testing if you can successfully submit a form via a webhook. But even then there’s no guarantee. 

We have a similar request for https://www.leadmanagementlab.com/Form.aspx?id=16e72765-fd82-4a15-bb98-8ded0f10aa52

Is it possible on this form, and if so could you provide some guidance? 

Userlevel 3
Badge +4

Hi @Mario Aldayuz. Looking at the form, it seems like this would be possible, as it is a simple HTML form. It would, however, require some time. If you’re not sure how to do it yourself, you could send me a message, and we can check if I’m able to help you.