Skip to main content
Best answer

How to create a Zap to execute a series of prompts in Google Sheets and generated in Google Docs?

Hello and thank you for welcoming me.

I am looking to create a simple zap, so simple that I couldn’t find it in the directory😊.

👉 I have a list of 10 prompts, on a google sheet, to run one after another. 

👉 I have a list of 50 hotel names and hotel URL, on another google sheet.

👉 I would like the 10 prompts to be run on each of the 50 hotel names and URL.

👉 Then I would like the render to be generated on a goole doc or else.

Can anyone point me to the right direction ? Thank you.

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

13 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Hi @FPBB 

That wouldn't be that hard to do. You will need to do the following: 

1. Create a checkbox in the Hotels google sheets, use this field as a Trigger in Zapier (New or Updated Spreadsheet Row) where the Trigger Column is the checkbox. You will need to run the zap (after setting it up) for each of those rows individually.
  2. Add an Action to “Get Many Spreadsheet Rows” to get the 10 prompts from the other google sheet. Keep in mind that you would better write those inside the zap.
  3. Create 10 actions, 1 for each prompt
  4. Create an Action to output the data into a Google Doc.

Hope this helps

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @FPBB,

We just wanted to see how everything is going with your Zap. Did MohSwellam’s recommendation get the job done? Feel free to reach out if you need further assistance with your Zap. We're glad to address any concerns and assist you.

We're looking forward to your response.

Userlevel 1

Thanks @JammerS and @MohSwellam for your follow up.

I am following @MohSwellam ‘s recommandations, I will enter the prompt inside the zap.

So here is the Zap I am trying :

1- I create an excel with a liste of hotels names, hotels URL and photos. 

2- I enter a serie of 10 prompts to be applied on hotels names, hotels URL and photos. 

3- The render goes to an excel.

So I have a list with the hotel names  👇

However, I can’t find the Sheet with the Zapier search field 👇

And this makes that I am stucked here :). 

I am 100% sure that I am connected to the correct Google Drive account, because I can see some files that are indeed on my drive in the search results from Zapier. 

Would you you now why I can’t find the file I need ? 

Tanks you in advance, the more I understand how it works, the more it will go smoother 🙂.

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

You are trying to access an Excel Sheet in Google Drive, not a Google Sheet :) You need to convert this excel sheet into a Google Sheet 

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Hi @FPBB,

+1 to @MohSwellam. You will need to convert the .XLSX to Google Sheets. Like so:

40446952cc1af4df0ffe339d3381187c.png
(view larger)

Hopefully, this helps!

Userlevel 1

Hello everyone, I am making some progresses, slowly but safely :). Nonetheless, I am stucked somewhere else...

So, what I am trying to do is : running 10 prompts on a hotel name, and bis repetita.

So I have this Google Sheet hotels_liste_senegal , and I am trying to run the first prompt on the column hotels_nom

This is my Trigger, the test returns postive :

On the next step, I enter my prompt in the message field (simple prompt “create a h2 with the hotel name”)

But the test result shows that the prompt did not run on the hotel name in the Googl sheet.

What I am looking to, is to run all 10 prompts on the on the column hotels_nom.

Can anyone let me know where I made the mistake : Did I the prompt wrongly, or did I enter the trigger wrongly (or both :) ? 

Many thanks in advanced for your help.

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Hi there @FPBB,

If you want to use the data from Google Sheets to your ChatGPT to create prompts. You will need to map the data from the Google Sheets trigger to the “User Message” field of the ChatGPT step.

You can learn more about mapping fields here: https://help.zapier.com/hc/en-us/articles/8496343026701-Send-data-between-steps-by-mapping-fields

Kindly give it a try and let me know how it goes? I'll keep an eye out for your response!

Userlevel 1

Hello @ken.a , thanks for your support.

Hi there @FPBB,

You will need to map the data from the Google Sheets trigger to the “User Message” field of the ChatGPT step.

To make it easier, I am trying to manually enter all prompts. The first prompt has to run on the data in the column hotels_nom . So I set hotels_nom as trigger column, is this correct ? 

Then I enter a simple prompt : “create a catchy post title with [the name of the hotels]”. But as you can see, the system doesn’t found any datas in the hotels_nom field. 

Although there are datas in the hotels_nom field :

As a result, the prompt I entered is effectively running, but not on the hotel name. 

Can you let me know why I can’t get datas from this field ? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Hi there @FPBB,

Thanks for the update here.

Since the trigger is returning “No data”, could you please try loading a new sample data in the trigger step by clicking on the “Find new records” button and use the newest sample data.

You can learn more about that here: https://help.zapier.com/hc/en-us/articles/8496310366093-Change-the-test-record-in-your-Zap-trigger

I'll be keeping an eye out for your response!

Userlevel 1

could you please try loading a new sample data in the trigger step by clicking on the “Find new records” button and use the newest sample data.

Hi @ken.a ,

We are getting closer:).

I was able to get the datas, and indeed the prompt no runs on the correct hotel name.

However, after a fact check I realize that the infos given by the ChatGPt are fasle. The reason seems to be that the ChatGpt doesn’t go online to check the information, although I asked him to do so in the prompt.

And when I test the same prompt direct in my dedicated GPT, I have the corrrect informations, as the bot did his researches on Internet, as I asked him to.

So my next question is 🙂 : how can I get ChatGPT to take his sourcing information on the Internet ?

Thanks !

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Hi @FPBB,

Unfortunately, it’s not possible for the ChatGPT integration to browse the web via the API in Zapier. However, we do have an existing feature request for this exact functionality.

I have added you to the open feature request. That does a few things:

• Bring this to the attention of the integration developers
  • Help track interest in this feature being implemented
  • Allows us to notify you via email if this feature becomes available in the future

While I don't have an ETA on when this feature might be implemented, we will notify you via email if it is!

In the meantime, you can explore other AI apps as a workaround here: https://zapier.com/apps/categories/artificial-intelligence

Additionally, you can stay in the loop/follow along with updates on the main thread here: 

Hopefully, this helps.

For anyone that comes across this and wants to be added please reach out on the main topic for this issue here and we’ll get you added to the feature request.

Userlevel 1

Thanks for this clarification @ken.a , no worries, now that I can figure out how it works, I still can use some Zapiers without online search.

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

You are most welcome @FPBB! I’m glad I was able to help!

If you have any other questions, please don’t hesitate to reach out to the Community. We’re always happy to help! 🤗