Best answer

How to create a Zap to automatically tweet WordPress updates with proper mapping of image and text fields?

• 30 June 2023
  • 3 replies

How does one set up a simple Zap to create a tweet every time WordPress is updated? What value gets mapped into the Twitter action field of “image, Video or GIF?” And what gets mapped into the “text” field to produce the blog post (1) Title (2) Excerpt and (3) Link?

icon

Best answer by ken.a 4 July 2023, 08:48

View original

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Hi there @Paul P,

Welcome to the Community! 🎉

I’m here to help you with your Zap setup!

Here is how I see the Zap for the workflow that you have in mind:

1. Trigger: WordPress - Updated Post - The Zap will trigger when a post is updated on WordPress.

2. Action: Twitter - Create Tweet - The Zap will create a tweet on Twitter.

The fields in the Twitter action will be populated as follows:

• “Message” field: This field is for the content of your tweet.

• “Image, Video, or GIF” field: This field is typically used to attach media to your tweet. If your WordPress post includes an image, video, or GIF, you can map that media URL to this field. If your posts do not include media, you can leave this field blank.

Would this help you out? Please let me know if you need more information or details regarding the suggested workflow. Also, you can check out suggested workflows for WordPress, and Twitter from our website: https://zapier.com/apps/wordpress/integrations/twitter.

Hopefully, this points you to the right direction! 😊

I can get a Twitter posts with a simple Twitter card preview. If I want to post a tweet with the Word Press featured image as a separate image, (not just part of the Open Graph preview) what do I map into the “image, video, or GIF” selection? Nothing from WordPress appears as simply an image file. 

I’m trying  to reproduce something the plugin “WordPress to Buffer” does for me now.

Is that not possible as a Zap?

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Hi @Paul P,

At the moment, the “New Post in WordPress” trigger doesn’t support direct link to images. We do have a request open asking for this functionality to be added, and I've added your details to the open feature request. When there's a resolution, we'll reach out to you via email. 

However, we do have a workaround I'd like you to try. Because Wordpress doesn't actually send the image, we need to try get it. We can attempt to do that by making a get request, using “Custom Request in Webhooks by Zapier” between your two current steps.

Here’s how to set it up:

1. Use the “Custom Request in Webhooks by Zapier” action:
    54545b003c87a729b596e64cf4668230.png
    (view larger)

2. Set up the action step. Like so:
    c4ab92ef2fdf947621bac2f459f9118a.png
    (view larger)

3. Map the “Guid Rendered” data from the “Custom Request in Webhooks by Zapier” in the “Image, Video or GIF” field.
    71e03dc04b484b856deb22214e31b5d4.png
    (view larger)

4. After that, please test the Twitter action step to see if it’ll upload the image.

Please give that a try, and keep us posted! 😊