Question

How to create a trigger from a Google calendar update but not a new event

Userlevel 1

Hi there,

I want to set up a Zap that will send new event time information to the backend whenever a Google calendar event is rescheduled/changed, but not when a new event is created. 

The only option I see with Google calendar triggers is for new/updated events, but doesn’t differentiate between the two. 

Does anyone have a workaround for this?

Thanks!

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Hi @emilycorrigan,

Try using a filter action, you should get whether event updated or created info from Google Calendar trigger. Use that to filter out the new ones. If the trigger doesn’t tell whether it is new or old event, you can use a search step and search whether the event is created last hour or earlier, if earlier that it is likely an old event.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @emilycorrigan 

Good question.

You may need to use this Zap step to compare the created timestamp and the updated timestamp from the GCal trigger: Formatter - Date / Time - Compare Dates

Then follow that with a Filter step: https://zapier.com/apps/filter/help

Another option would be to log all your New GCal events into a GSheet or Airtable, then check against that each time to determine if there is an existing record, then filter on that.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Hey there, @emilycorrigan!  I wanted to pop in and see if Troy’s and Rob’s suggestions helped get this sorted for you? We’d love to know! 🤗

Userlevel 1

Hi @christina.d, I think using @robschmidt’s suggestion worked, but we haven’t tested it within the full system yet. Will try Troy’s next if another solution is needed! Thanks for checking.