Best answer

How to create a Slack Zap for reminders with tagged users from the original message in the same thread?

• 26 June 2023
  • 1 reply

Hello!

I would like to make a Zap when bot triggers canned reply/reminders tagging Slack users from original message within same thread not to spam the channel. Example:

Original message on the channel: Hi @abc @def please make an action

Zapier 1st reminder: @abc @def Please follow up 

Zapier 2nd reminder: @abc @def Please follow up 

Zapier 3rd reminder: @abc @def Please follow up 

The automation should tag users from original message, and they will vary from message to message. It should also have an option to manually or by some shortcut stop next reminder if an action was done by tagged user. 

Many thanks in advance

icon

Best answer by nicksimard 27 June 2023, 02:43

View original

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Hi@Kriss!

There are several parts to this. Each one is achievable, but when you put them all together it gets a little tricky. Here’s how I see it:

1. Extract the @usernames from the message, to use in the response (we can use RegEx or a Code step)
  2. Delay the responses (we can use multiple Zaps or Delay steps in one Zap)
  3. Stop the follow-ups, but only for specific users (meaning, you may have to remove one person amongst multiple)

That last part is the trickiest one, I’d say. I might suggest separating the responses from the Zap by using something like Airtable. That way you can more easily stop specific reminders from being sent out.

Here’s an idea of what you could create in Airtable, then build some Zaps to populate it and trigger on records in the views I’m demonstrating here:

e46c9b8088e8713e79b15908b3459ef3.gif

You could have a Zap that marks the “stop” checkbox on the Airtable record so it doesn’t enter the next view (1 day, 3 days, 5 days, etc.) This isn’t a “how to” but more of an idea of a direction you could take :)